Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Diopter or Not

Started by barra ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Diopter or Not

2 posts
  1. Although I have been a member for quite a while this is my first post. I am currently shooting with a Canon 1DS and Seacam housing with a large 9 inch dome port. When I first purchased the rig I was advised by a retailer (of underwter camera gear) that I should use a 2X diopter with the canon EF 17 - 35mm L series lens. I mainly shoot wide angle fish scenes. I note that some images are soft in the bottom left corner - but the rest of the image is otherwise sharp. I have since been advised by another retailer that I shouldn't be using any diopter for that lens. Any suggestions?

  2. Hi Barra and Welcome,

     

    I use Canon 1D and 5D cameras in Seacam housings.

     

    The original thinking among those here was that using no diopter, was preferable to using a diopter in almost all cases.

     

    I think this conventional wisdom has changed a bit since then. I recently received an email from Steven Frink, US retailer for Seacam, and he prefers to use a diopter with the Canon 16-35 and 17-40 lenses when he is doing CFWA work. I agree with him. For normal big animal WA, a diopter is usually not needed.

     

    I'm not too sure about your older 17-35 lens, but I'd follow the same recommendation, use a good diopter for CFWA and no diopter for normal wideangle.

     

    Canon wideangle lenses tend to have soft corners at f-stops below f8 - the 17-40L seems to be one of the better models.

     

    Cheers

    James

    Edited by james
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.