I cannot for the life of me print out what I see on screen. Every image is darker than on screen. I have tried Icm off no color correction, Abobe RGB, Epson standard, Color profile for the paper I'm using. Every print is darker. Can Somebody please help me?
- 10Posts
- 10Replies
Read-only discussion
Epson R2400
-
-
Is your screen properly calibrated (e.g. using Spyder or Gretag McBeth)? If so, you should convert the photos to your monitor's profile when you open them in Photoshop, and then use this profile as the "source profile" when you print. These settings should sort out your problem...
-
There are 2 issues that you need to check.
First, like matt said, make sure you calibrate your screen. Without calibration whatever you see on your screen might possibly resemble what you print (but probably doesnt

Second, make sure you use the correct ICC profile for your printer and paper. Epson has released new ICC profiles for some of their papers for the 2400 that are much better. If you use other papers than Epson, check that manufacturers website for ICC profiles for the 2400. If you dont use ICC profiles for the paper you use, you are basically gambling.
Theoretically you could make your own profile with a printer calibration device, but personally ive never had the need to do that because the Epson profiles seem to work just fine (and so do the hanemuhle and other paper profiles).
Your software (I print through Photoshop) will make the correct translation between your monitor and printer using these profiles.
When I bought my 2400 I used this webpage to get going.
Regards,
Cor
-
I own the 2100 but the process goes the same.
Again:
1. Use a calibrated monitor
2. Use the correct ICC profile for your printer/paper combination
I use Ilford paper. IMHO way better than epson paper. Their glossy paper is perfect. I don't belief Epson has that for the 2100 or even the 2400?
Main trick is to use Qimage. That is super software to upscale or downscale to your printers native resolution; this is done based on verctors. Don't trust on Photoshop or your printer driver to do this. Qimage can also help you to concert your image to the paper size you are printing on.
-
I use Ilford paper. IMHO way better than epson paper. Their glossy paper is perfect. I don't belief Epson has that for the 2100 or even the 2400?
Has what? Glossy paper? Ofcourse Epson has glossy paper. Premium Glossy it's called. I use Premium Glossy, Ilford Smooth Gloss and Ilford Classic Gloss and I think they're comparable.
But it's all a personal preference ofcourse.
Cor
-
Has what? Glossy paper? Ofcourse Epson has glossy paper. Premium Glossy it's called. I use Premium Glossy, Ilford Smooth Gloss and Ilford Classic Gloss and I think they're comparable.
But it's all a personal preference ofcourse.
Cor
I just was not sure. Especially for the 2100 (2200 in the US). But Ilfords Smooth Gloss is fantastic.
But again: Check out Qimage!
-
I can recommend George Dewolfe's Digital Photography Fine Print Workshop; a well organized and easy to read workflow text that takes you through all the steps from capture to print for more consistent, predictable results.
I'm not sure it's necessary to get into alternative programs such as Qimage, at least until you have a consistent results with the standard Epson profiles etc. I think it's a good idea to choose a paper, preferably Epson, use Epson presets etc. You are probably missing a step somewhere in your printer setup protocol. You should be able to get pretty good results with Epson profiles, papers etc if you are calibrating and have every step in the process correctly set. Then if you have a preference for more subtle print differences, then experiment with other papers etc.
-
I can recommend George Dewolfe's Digital Photography Fine Print Workshop; a well organized and easy to read workflow text that takes you through all the steps from capture to print for more consistent, predictable results.
I'm not sure it's necessary to get into alternative programs such as Qimage, at least until you have a consistent results with the standard Epson profiles etc. I think it's a good idea to choose a paper, preferably Epson, use Epson presets etc. You are probably missing a step somewhere in your printer setup protocol. You should be able to get pretty good results with Epson profiles, papers etc if you are calibrating and have every step in the process correctly set. Then if you have a preference for more subtle print differences, then experiment with other papers etc.
I don't use Qimage for my color management workflow. I just use it to upscale or downscale my digital images to the native printer resolution. Imagine printing to 2800 dpi. Your super mega pixel camera can then do 2 inches wide at the best. Qimage does the job very well. Digital images can be printed/enlarged way bigger then people think. You just need good software.
-
I do not disagree with you; my only point is that one should be able to get pretty good prints using the standard Epson papers and presets, and giantster should be able to get pretty good correlation between his printer and monitor without going to other papers, presets, software etc. I have an Epson 4800, and had similar problems until I became familiar with all the different variables in setting up the printer and monitor. George DeWolfe does a nice job going through the steps in his chapters on setting up the printer, monitor etc. Particularly for someone like myself who was really comfortable in the darkroom, this book was helpful in really putting the digital workflow into perspective.
-
I do not disagree with you; my only point is that one should be able to get pretty good prints using the standard Epson papers and presets, and giantster should be able to get pretty good correlation between his printer and monitor without going to other papers, presets, software etc. I have an Epson 4800, and had similar problems until I became familiar with all the different variables in setting up the printer and monitor. George DeWolfe does a nice job going through the steps in his chapters on setting up the printer, monitor etc. Particularly for someone like myself who was really comfortable in the darkroom, this book was helpful in really putting the digital workflow into perspective.
Ok. Let me try to phrase it better. You still need to upscale your image to the printer resolution. That's because the native resolution of the printer is way bigger than your camera's resolution. That's not a problem because your printer driver does a really good job on this.
I am just claiming that Qimage is even better to upscale your image. I have made a3+ prints on my Epson 2100 made with a d100 or a crop of a d100 image. Those are still super sharp.
You can find a sample file on the Qimage site that proves their point. There are just more ways to upsample images and your printer driver is just not the best one.