Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Help please

Started by fishfriend ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Help please

5 posts
  1. Hi,

    I just bought a canon eos 350D and I use it with EF28-70 lens I already had.

    I am looking at getting a housing, strobe and lens to take it underwater but I have too many confusions

     

    1. I want a 1 lens solution to start off with so that I am ready to shoot anything I see underwater. It does not have to deliver the best wide angle and macro photos but shud be able to handle both decently.

     

    With this mindset, I am looking at 17-55 EF (maybe L)lens and I was wondering if it can handle some level of macro photography as well. DO u have other suggestions?

     

    2. I was seriously considering a fantasea F350D housing but now I am confused .. Everybody in the forum says it does not have full feature capability but when i looks at the specs I am not able to find out what it is missing. Also does fantasea has enough strobes and ports for 350D.

     

    I have also started considering Ikelite. Do their strobes have full eTTL capability. Can u use an ikelite strobe/port on fantasea and vice versa. Can i use a housed 580 EX with an ikelite housing. is that a good idea anyway? (how about when used with a powerful second strobe)

    How about using a nice video light instead of a strobe? What r the advantages or disadvantages.

     

    This is a recommended fantasea setup.

    http://www.fantasea.com/downloads/2006_system_dslr.pdf

    There is a place for attaching an LED light. Can u do something similar with an ikelite. What will it buy me anyway?

     

     

    3. Overall, can someone spoonfeed me with a nice underwater setup for a 350D. Trust me I am doing my research but I am only getting confused all the more.

  2. Hi,

     

    A good all around lens for the 350D is Canon's 17-85 EF-S lens.

     

    If you get the Fantasea housing, the only way to to eTTL would be to house a canon flash, or use a Heinrich's TTL converter circuit board.

     

    If you get an Ike housing, and their strobes, they have a eTTL converter built into the housing that works quite well.

     

    The other choice, a bit more expensive is the Sea and Sea housing for the 350D, and a Sea and Sea eTTL converter box. Then you can use many different brands of strobes and get TTL. I bet you could use that same box w/ the Fantasea housing, but you'd need special wiring and a 6 pin bulkhead.

     

    Or you could just forget about TTL - you don't really need it when you're shooting digital and can see your results right away.

     

    I hope that helps,

    James

    Edited by james
  3. I use an Ikelite housing for the Rebel XT, with DS-125 and the stock 18-55 lens. I'll be picking up a 100mm macro at Christmas to add to the mix. I am quite happy with the setup and how easily the eTTL works. The modelling light on the strobe is quite bright as well. I have never felt the need to add additional focusing lighting. However, I'll probably add another DS-125 at some point.

  4. If you get the Fantasea housing, the only way to to eTTL would be to house a canon flash, or use a Heinrich's TTL converter circuit board.

     

    James

     

    We have a 6 pin to 5 pin converter that allows most nikonos TTl strobes, ie Inon 240z, to work fine. The housed Canon speedlight is pretty attractive, as then you have a great above water strobe as well.

     

    Here's a link to the 350 manual, it might answer your questions, I don't see anything missing, however I don't own the camera:

    Fantasea 350 housing manual

     

    Jack

    Edited by JackConnick

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.