Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

20D and Ikelite learning curve

Started by Wayfarer ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

20D and Ikelite learning curve

3 posts
  1. I am a total newbie to underwater photography and this might have been covered already but just in case it hasn’t I will pass this along.

     

    If you have a 20d with a Sigma 14mm 2.8 in an Ikelite housing with the 8â€dome port you need to attach the port to the housing before putting the camera in the housing, on mine when I rotate the port to put it on the housing the edge of the lens put a nice scratch on the inside of the housing but it lines up with the edge of the lens so I am hoping it wont be noticeable in images.

     

    I also had a few things I am curious about any advice would be greatly appreciated.

     

    First is Balance, I haven’t been the water with the rig yet but it seems very off balanced with the strobe hanging out front, does this improve in the water or is a counter weight needed.

     

    Second is the 8†dome port. I bought the Ikelite Pelican case and don’t see an apparent way to store the port in the case other than flat and that takes up a lot of room.

     

    Third is transporting the housing with the Camera in it. I know the manual says not to but I don’t see how it could cause a problem as the fit is so snug I don’t think it would move around in the housing.

     

    Thanks, Wayfarer/Pete

  2. If the lens is that close to scratch the dome, the dome is too close. You need to be using a longer port/extension.

     

    As far as ballance, with a macro port it is front heavy, with the dome port it is back heavy. It is not too bad, but it does give your wrists a good work out when shooting with a heavy macro lens and a pair of heavy DS-125's.

     

    I can fit my entire kit in my pelican 1600, though it is a tight fit and I have to take the tray apart. (The 8" dome is bottom right)

     

    pelican.jpg

    Edited by acroporas
  3. If the scratches on the inside of your dome show up in pics, they need to be removed or its time for a new dome. The center of curvature of the dome should be located at the nodal point (entrance pupil) of the lens. If your dome looks like a full hemisphere you still need to measure it to confirm that - it may not be. The nodal point for the Sigma 14mm f3.5 is 87.8mm from the film plane. No data on the 14mm f2.8 lens.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.