Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Ouch !!!

Started by DeanB ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Ouch !!!

15 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I'm new here but I have a very good question.???

     

    Does anyone know how to protect / get rid of Mosquito bites.

     

    I've just returned from Italy and was subjected to what could only be described as an onslaught. :)

     

    My legs, ankles, feet, back and arms have at least 10 bites each and they have swollen to about 1-2"inches(4-5cm) in size. I applied various sprays every day (to no avail) and also have been using a 'Boss bite reliever'.

     

    My mummy says I'm a very brave boy and not to worry and not to keep scratching. :(

     

    Thanks to all

     

    Dean..

     

    P.s this is the 'insect bites' forum...Isn't it.. :):)

  2. Yes, soak yourself in old cooking oil for 3 hours, then nothing will ever bother you again:)

  3. don't scratch Deanie... the mozzies love gingers like you... :)

  4. For fast relief, just apply cologne. Just hope that you haven't scratched hard enough so far as to break the skin, otherwise, it could be a memorable experience :)

     

    And in the future, mosquito repellants with citronella oil work best, in my painful experience.

  5. Gingers...?

     

    "What the fook"

     

    The only Gingers I've got is me biscuits in the cupboard...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  6. Tea Tree Oil - helps with the itch and keeps the mossy's off as well -

  7. Cheers for the info you guys.. Any more keep it coming.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. Germoline contains both an antiseptic and anasthetic. I was savaged earlier this year and found it to be the best solution to the itching.

  9. Mosquito repelent 100% DEET, works very well, nothing bite me in a recent trip to Africa.

  10. Its seems that an overdose of garlic (3000mg) in the morning keeps all the little blood suckers at bay, oddly enough it has the same affect on the 2 legged mammals around me. :)

  11. Rocha et al.,

     

    I'd be cautious about using DEET at 100%. DEET may be the best (or only) repellent that really works, but there are indications that high concentrations and/or long-term use can pose health risks, though there is no hard proof. (Living in Bali, this is subject that I'm very concerned about - I have used products containing DEET almost every evening. for the past 3-4 years!)

     

    A well-known study published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2002 concluded that while alternative formulations can repell mosquitos for a short periods, only products containing DEET offered real protection for significant periods. The highest concentration DEET product tested, OFF Deep Woods, at 23.8%, repelled mosquitos for up to 360 minutes. Lower concentrations of DEET also worked, but for shorter periods of time.

     

    http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/347/1/13 {abstract}

    http://content.nejm.org/cgi/reprint/347/1/13.pdf {full article}

    http://content.nejm.org/content/vol347/iss...large/04t1.jpeg {results table}

    http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/347/21/1719 {discussion in later nejm issue}

     

    The West Nile virus crisis has led to some new studies and greater attention to alternatives, but nothing has emerged that is obviously as effective as DEET products. My current take on the status of mosquito repellents is as follows:

     

    1. DEET containing products work, but one should minimize use (i.e., sleep in a mosquito net) and avoid products with concentrations of DEET greater than 30%. (Some physicians say concentrations higher than 30% may be justifiable for people working in areas with intense black fly or high risk of exposure to ticks carrying lyme disease, etc.)

     

    2. Avoid applying products containing DEET at the same time or shortly after applying sun-screen. (In dengue-fever areas, including most of Indonesia, people are quite correct to apply repellent in the middle of the day.) Some ingredients in sunblock can hugely increase the amount of DEET absorbed.

     

    3. Alternatives to DEET that some authorities (CDC) say may have comparable effectiveness include:

    - Picaridin (AKA 3023, Icaridin). One product has been approved in the US, more in Oz and Europe. I've tried one, didn't like it.

    - Oil of lemon eucalyptus (P-methane-3,8-diol, or PMD). I'm interested in trying this, but nobody claims that the effectiveness is better than low-concentration (very low) DEET products.

     

    Unfortunately, claims for oils of garlic, fennel, etc. don't seem to hold up. Citronella oil compounds apparently reduces the number of bites, but don't prevent them.

     

    Other sources of information:

     

    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/r...s/uprepinfo.pdf

    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/q...t_repellent.htm

    http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/mosquitoes/insectrp.htm

     

    Frogfish (Robert Delfs)

  12. I heard a while ago that DEET disolving in the water was really nasty for the environment. Would the amount we spray on our bodies be enough to cause damage while diving ?

  13. Take garlic pills in the morning as metioned, just use the odorless variety, if you want to . . . . later in the evening.

  14. If you want to touch your feminine side, try some Avon skin-so-soft. Not as effective as Deet, but it does work for some and it smells nice, and leaves your skin feeling and smelling baby fresh. :)

  15. I have the perfect solution: I stays close to my wife, she's much preferred by the mosquitoes so no one bit me :)

    But seriously the best solution is the deep-woods with the deet.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.