Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Dome Port for 18-70mm Nikkor lens

Started by pygmyseahorse ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Dome Port for 18-70mm Nikkor lens

3 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I am new at this UW digital stuff.

     

    I have a housed D70 and SB 800. The housing came with a free flat port for the 18-70mm kit lens. It is OK for portraits of medium-sized fishes and turtles etc. The port can only be used at 18mm focal length. I can get a dome port for the lens which would allow changes in focal length and, more importantly, increase the coverage of the lens for wide-angle use.

     

    What I want to know is how much would be the increase in coverage at the 18mm end of the lens? It would cost about USD250 and I would also need a new close-up diopter. Not sure whether it is worth it.

     

    I use a 60mm Micro lens for macro work.

     

    Thanks.

     

    Meng

  2. Hi Meng, I think you should get the dome. It not only will give you more coverage, but it will also give you better wide angle images. And you certainly will need the dome when you start getting additional wide angle lenses.

     

    Luiz

  3. Yeah.

     

    The flat port will work at the long end, but not that well at the short end. There's a variably technical discussion about dome ports hidden away in Wetpixel. The strength of the diopter that you need should be available from the dome's manufacturer, I would guess about +3D. HOYA diopters are pretty cheap. Check the sharpness in the corners of the image (shooting the tiles in a pool is traditional).

     

    As Luiz says, a big dome will take wider lenses, and they let you do cool things, like this:

     

    post-4522-1157807993_thumb.jpg

     

    Tim

     

    B)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.