Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Is this a turtle head seasnake?

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Is this a turtle head seasnake?

7 posts
  1. I am rubbish at IDing seasnakes. I only know the banded sea krait!

     

    While I was away (and in m trip write up) I referred to this a a Turtlehead Seasnake. Is this correct?

     

    BL38.jpg

     

    Alex

  2. he he ... the turtles head

     

    Alex .. i believe the turtle head seasnake has a bill like a hawksbill turtle .. kinda top lip coming over the bottom lip.

     

    can't see that on your photo .. the only other one i know is the olive sea snake ... but i dont think that has stripes quite as big as thaht .. thats al lmy knowledge .. but i wanted to throw it in there.

  3. The Turtles Head, I was thinking like the digital wet fella... something very different indeed! Here is a close up of the same species, maybe even the same animal?

    post-5023-1158416743_thumb.jpg

  4. Sorry I can't help Alex but I saw one like that at Secret Bay. I picked up a burlap sack off the bottom, and there was one underneath. Quite a surprise!

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. in a fine scottish brogue....

     

    "ahh, theres a turtle head pokin out............."

     

    hahah... Fat Bastard

  6. Hey Alex,

     

    I've just been contacted by a guy who seems to be the worlds expert on sea snakes, here is what he sent me about it:

     

    This is a Filesnake (also called Wartsnake) of the genus Acrochordus.

    This is NOT venomous, it is not a "sea snake", but an "aquatic snake". The species is either Little filesnake (Acrochordus granulatus) or Javan filesnake (Acrochordus javanicus). If you send me more pictures (head close-up from the side and top and an overall body image) with location (which island) information, then I can tell you with more confidence of which one of the two species - they are common is SE Asia. I enclose a few images of these species, so you can compare to the ones you seeing.

     

    He is also keen to get more images, so maybe you want to contact him, I can send you his email address. One thing though wants to sue my photo's but has sent me a form that basically gives him rights to sue my image for what ever he wants for nothing, so your thoughts on this would be veyr much appreciated. There's no way I am giving away images to anyoen to use for themselves, it was originally just for a science thing, now it seems he wants rights for the images to use when ever he wants!

  7. Very interesting snake ID Graham.

     

    I think Graham knows just about everything about every sea creature in Indonesia........ B) ; or at least he has dove with someone who knows!!! :D

     

    Very interesting Alex and Graham,

     

    Best Carol

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.