I just wanted to ask for some feedback for a 5 minute film-short I've been working on. If you have the time, please visit In Silence to the Sea. On the web page, the film will be the "short version" on the top right hand side. The film showcases a selection of underwater shots all taken on a breathhold dive, as a way to try to introduce the viewer to the unique persective of a freediver in the ocean. The shots include clips of bottle-nose dolphins, groupers, and kingfish, from a variety of locations.
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Feedback for a Freediving Film-short
Started by Gen ·
- 7Posts
- 7Replies
Read-only discussion
Feedback for a Freediving Film-short
-
-
I just wanted to ask for some feedback for a 5 minute film-short I've been working on. If you have the time, please visit In Silence to the Sea. On the web page, the film will be the "short version" on the top right hand side. The film showcases a selection of underwater shots all taken on a breathhold dive, as a way to try to introduce the viewer to the unique persective of a freediver in the ocean. The shots include clips of bottle-nose dolphins, groupers, and kingfish, from a variety of locations.
As someone who is a hardcore freediver and video shooter/editor, I expected to see much more freediving and interaction with freedivers and the environment - I think that the attempt is a good one, but I became bored with the footage. There wasn't interaction, there didn't seem to be a common thread within the footage.
To see someone at the surface with splitfins was the capper for me - this is a video about freediving, yet, splitfins are useless for freediving - yet they are represented here in the video piece.
The titles were well done, and I did like the b/w effect used at the beginning, but I found the soundtrack not appropriate for the footage - it was almost too relaxing. Anyone who truly freedives appreciates the almost mystical quality of being immersed on a single breath. I would have done it differently, but each shooter has a eye and sense of what they want from their concept.
Noticed you gave credit to Kirk and the rest of the gang over at PFI, what was their involvement in the project?
If you want, come on over to UWDV.COM where video is the only thing we talk about and right now, I shoot video while freediving 100% of the time.
-
Hey Cliff,
Several times when I have gone to your site and clicked on Forums, nothing comes up but a blank page. Sometimes I can get to it when a message comes up that says it moved and provides me with a new click to click. This morning, just a blank page.
Thought you should know.
Steve B)
-
Hey Cliff,
Several times when I have gone to your site and clicked on Forums, nothing comes up but a blank page. Sometimes I can get to it when a message comes up that says it moved and provides me with a new click to click. This morning, just a blank page.
Thought you should know.
Steve B)
Must be the full moon or something... I was just on the forums posting through Opera and had no problems - you using Safari on a MAC???
-
Guys -- please keep discussion about other forums to PM or on those forums themselves. It is totally off topic here.
We are ok with links out to other forums, but only if the links are to specific threads, and only if there is unique content there.
-
I just wanted to ask for some feedback for a 5 minute film-short I've been working on. If you have the time, please visit In Silence to the Sea. On the web page, the film will be the "short version" on the top right hand side. The film showcases a selection of underwater shots all taken on a breathhold dive, as a way to try to introduce the viewer to the unique persective of a freediver in the ocean. The shots include clips of bottle-nose dolphins, groupers, and kingfish, from a variety of locations.
I'm pretty sure the only fins represented are longbladed Picasso fins. Are you sure you're looking at the right film? The video in question is the "shortened version" on the top right hand side of the website. The "Original Cut" hasn't been updated for a long time . . . due to time constraints.
Thanks for the feedback. I live in Kyoto where it is more difficult to find people who edit underwater footage, so I need to see how things look from the perspective of someone who is used to taking footage in the ocean.
-
What freediving? I just watched the 5min version and saw one guy for 2 seconds?