Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Buying duty-free Cameras in Guam?

Started by JackConnick ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Buying duty-free Cameras in Guam?

10 posts
  1. I'll be going out to do a week on the Truk Odyssey in Nov. and was passing through Guam. Has anyone done any camera shopping there? I probably only have time to shop at the airport. Looking at a Nikon D80 or Canon 400xTi and lenses, etc.

     

    Any recent experiences appreciated.

     

    TIA,

    Jack

  2. I will go through the airport in Guam next month and I can check it out for you. But I doubt it will be any cheaper, and usually they don't have much selection...

     

    Luiz

  3. Also check the warranty status of the country you buy in. Cameras don't have international warranties. Lenses do.

  4. Drew... Guam is USA....

     

    Jack, everyone i know in Guam buys at B&H or adorama, as do i...

     

    cuz Guam is pricey...

  5. whoops didn't pay attention to where Jack is from. Dunno why he'd think an island in the middle of the pacific would be cheaper than NYC/NJ prices. I thought he was from Micronesia or something. :P

  6. whoops didn't pay attention to where Jack is from. Dunno why he'd think an island in the middle of the pacific would be cheaper than NYC/NJ prices. I thought he was from Micronesia or something. :P

     

    Uhh, because it is duty-free dude. And everyone is getting full list for D80s and 400xTi's right now. Yeah, I doubt it is very much of a deal, but just thought I'd see. Yeah, Luiz that'd be great if you'd post what you see.

     

    Jack

    Edited by JackConnick
  7. I must be missing on what the deal is with "duty free". I haven't paid a duty fee on anything I have ever bought in the United States just prior to traveling.

     

    I think duty free means: "We charge way more $ because we have to pay exhorbitant retail space lease fees at the airport, but we'll dupe travelers into thinking they're getting a good deal by claiming it is duty free even though they could get it WAY cheaper from B&H and won't have to pay duties anyway"

  8. :P Dave, when they start posting PFS(profit free shop) instead of DFS I'll start buying expensive goods at the airport shops. By the way, there is import duty for cameras and the like, 6+% if I'm not wrong. But that is applied at the importer distributor level, not retail.

    Jack, didn't mean to make fun of you but if you factor in shipping to guam from distributors you'll see there's no way it's going to be cheaper.

  9. I think duty free means: "We charge way more $ because we have to pay exhorbitant retail space lease fees at the airport, but we'll dupe travelers into thinking they're getting a good deal by claiming it is duty free even though they could get it WAY cheaper from B&H and won't have to pay duties anyway"

    I'd imagine the importers/distributors B&H buys their cameras and lenses from pay some import duties, and I'd bet that amount is included in the cost B&H pays the importer, and the cost you and I pay B&H. There are quotas and import levels, but in the end we all get duty-dinged to some extent. If you have purchased a Japanese camera in the US, you have paid whatever duty your own government charged the importer for that piece.

  10. I lived in Guam a few months last year and while I found some very good prices on some scuba gear, i also found a limited stock. you may find that what you want is not on the island if you are choosy.

     

    Take the oppertunity to dive while you are there if there is time, thereare many great sites and lots of real history there!.

     

    John

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.