I recently bought a fuji e900. I have never shot any pictures in RAW before, so I took a few test shots so I could get used to editing raw pictures. I can not get any of my RAW files to open on the computer. I have tried Raw Shooter Essentials, S7RAW, Photoshop CS2 and all of them tell me its an invalid file. I am sure I am doing something wrong. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
need help opening raw files
Started by bdj ·
- 12Posts
- 12Replies
Read-only discussion
need help opening raw files
-
-
I recently bought a fuji e900. I have never shot any pictures in RAW before, so I took a few test shots so I could get used to editing raw pictures. I can not get any of my RAW files to open on the computer. I have tried Raw Shooter Essentials, S7RAW, Photoshop CS2 and all of them tell me its an invalid file. I am sure I am doing something wrong. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
What platform, Mac, or Windows?
-
Windows
-
-
Yes - this is a headache I'm getting familiar with. Most times I try and read different RAW files from the new cameras I have got the 'can't read this file' pop up.
One answer that I do, if you want to stick with photoshop, is to log on to the adobe web site and download a plug in that will get you the programm to read your RAW file. I have just checked and the Fuji E900 is suported for CS2 users.
-
If you're simply after a RAW converter for E900 files, you can get DCRAW from here:
http://www.lebsanft.org/blog/index.php?cat=9
Just make sure you get the correct version for your operating system.
-
If you're simply after a RAW converter for E900 files, you can get DCRAW from here:
http://www.lebsanft.org/blog/index.php?cat=9
Just make sure you get the correct version for your operating system.
Yes, it does seem strange that even when I bought a brand new version of CS2, I still had to download the plug-in RAW converter from the Adobe web-site, inorder to down-load NEF files from the D200 (etc), and it was NOT included in the automatic on-line update.
-
I have downloaded the camera raw plug-in but still can't get the pictures to open in CS2. I can convert them to .dng files and then open them with cs2, but i thought I should be able to open my cameras files with CS2. If someone knows what I am doing wrong please let me know. If someone knows of a better program to use than PS CS2 let me know because I would be willing to try it. Thanks
-
Hi again bdj,
After you have done the download you need to make sure the program is sitting in the correct place. I found the same thing that you are experiencing the first time after downloading.
If you go back to the adobe web site and ckeck the download instructions it should give you some details on where exactly the program should sit in your computer for the program to actualy be usable.
Stick with it and you will get there - no need to rush out and buy more software.
-
Hi Trevor,
Thanks for the advice. That fixed it for me. I guess I should have read the instructions.
Thanks Alot, Brian
-
Stick with it and you will get there - no need to rush out and buy more software.
DCRAW is actually free. It's an open source software that's used as a RAW conversion engine by a high proportion of the commercial RAW converters on the market...

-
Could the adobe raw converter help to make your photoshop compatible ?
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3267