Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

"Video Lives" A DiveFilm Featured First

Started by Mary Lynn ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

"Video Lives" A DiveFilm Featured First

12 posts
  1. Apple has just released a new version of iTunes (iTunes 7) and announced a new service of downloadable feature films. Timed to take advantage of this major blitz, the iTunes interface has been redesigned, including the podcast section.

     

    A new "Featured Video Podcasts, TV & Film" section has been added and now prominently features DiveFilm Podcast Video right in there with National Geographic Video Shorts and HBO Films. (Of course, there's also The Man Show and Food Show and assorted other "TV & Film" entries, but what can you do?) Whatever your take on Apple, what this does mean is increased exposure to a more varied audience for these underwater videos.

     

    So I figured what better time to present Wags and Kelly's "Video Lives" as the most recent DiveFilm Podcast Video episode, and the one that will be downloaded to new subscribers. Now I know that most of us Wetpixel forum folks have already seen this great little video. But the new iTunes featuring of DiveFilm Podcast Videos will potentially reach a different and very diverse audience, and "Video Lives" is a wonderful introduction for a more general audience to the love of diving, the ocean and underwater imaging.

     

    Thank you, Wags and Kelly, for sharing your Video Lives!

     

    [And Wagsy, thank you for enduring a bit of Apple prominence?! :mellow: ]

     

    Mary Lynn

    http://DiveFilm.com

    Edited by Mary Lynn
  2. Hey cool Mary, thanks and well done.

     

    Will go and download itunes 7 to see how it feels. You are the podcast Queen :lol:

     

    We have encoded all our Video Lives clips to ipod specs and wmv on our site as well but not the one you have just put up.

  3. Now you'll be famous worldwide Wags and Kelly!!

     

    Glad to hear it. :lol:

  4. Wags and Kelly - I just watched "Video Lives" during my commute on the BART from San Francisco to Oakland tonight, and it was FANTASTIC! Content and production quality were all top-notch; you guys really have an eye for how to tell a story. Kelly is great in front of the camera, too!

     

    Wags -- how the hell do you keep the camera so steady??

     

    Everyone should watch this episode (and subscribe to the podcast, of course. :) )

  5. Eric is iTunes 7 on PC ok now?

  6. Nope. I played it on my iPod. iTunes 7 on Windows still doesn't play video for me. iTunes 7 on Mac seems to be fine, though.

     

    I've heard from at least one other person who has also had iTunes 7 for Windows issues, so it's not an isolated incident.

  7. Nope. I played it on my iPod. iTunes 7 on Windows still doesn't play video for me. iTunes 7 on Mac seems to be fine, though.

     

    I've heard from at least one other person who has also had iTunes 7 for Windows issues, so it's not an isolated incident.

     

    Hey guys,

    I'm also having issues with iTunes 7 and I'm on a Mac G5. I downloaded the version from the Apple site direct but it doesn't seem to want to download the podcasts from the iTunes Music store correctly. Wanted to get more into watching the episodes from Mary Lynn's great service. Tried to download Wags "Video Lives" and Steve's "Coming to the Cocos" but each time once downloaded I try opening the file and iTunes gives me an error message stating the files may be corrupted or that the files are of a format alien to QT.

     

    Sucksville, so now looking to get an earlier version, maybe 5 or 6.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  8. Eric...what is a BART :P

     

    That was the clip we sent into the first ABC video lives contest. Athough we did not win they rang us up to see if we wanted to do the 20 episode thingy that we are doing now called VIDEO LIVES.

     

    Glad you enjoyed it anyhow.

     

    Itunes 7. I tried it out as well but I prefer to just go to Mary's XML feed and find the direct download link.

     

    Don't no how I keep it steady...just do it :lol::)

  9. i watched it too!!!

     

    man my internet is fast these days...

     

    good job Paul...

     

    and thanks to Eric i didn't upgrade my itunes.. haha :)

  10. Eric...what is a BART :P

     

    That was the clip we sent into the first ABC video lives contest. Athough we did not win they rang us up to see if we wanted to do the 20 episode thingy that we are doing now called VIDEO LIVES.

     

    Glad you enjoyed it anyhow.

     

    Itunes 7. I tried it out as well but I prefer to just go to Mary's XML feed and find the direct download link.

     

    Don't no how I keep it steady...just do it :lol::)

     

    BART is eric's new boyfriend :lol:

    Ppps it's actually the Bay Area Rapid Transit, a train that goes connects San Francisco to the East Bay area of oakland, hayward etc. Itunes 7 isn't really necessary unless you want to buy movies and have continuous music.

  11. "Video Lives" has been one of my all-time favorites of Wags & Kelly's vids since I first saw it as an episode of their great podcasts, Adventure Underwater Diving Videos. It's got everything! Beautiful landscapes and underwater shots, incredible video work by Wags and fantastic on-camera by Kelly, and some of the best editing and production values I've seen in a short vid. Little touches like the long-shot of the vehicle traveling down the road, the shot of the road ahead from the truck, the aerials with Wags in the front seat and Kelly and her Mom (who's piloting the plane). And good statement about the importance of conservation made in the description of the marine life under the pier. I mean it's a veritable primer of how to do an incredible short video! Wagsy, it's simply top-notch work, that's all I can say!

     

    Now about this iTunes 7 thingy, though. Pretty exasperating. I've re-downloaded numerous episodes since the iTunes 7 upgrade and had no problems in playback on my G5, MacMini or my G4 Powerbook. But I need to hear from more folks about problems they are experiencing with iTunes--whether they're on PCs or Macs--so I can let the folks at Apple know that issues continue with the new program.

     

    What I am also noticing is that download times seem to drag on, but that could be my web host. This raises a slew of issues, though, not the least being that changing web hosts with an on-going podcast is something of a nightmare. In any event, it is almost time for me to begin taking down some of the old episodes to make way on the server for new ones. So in the next month, some of the earlier episodes will no longer be available.

     

    Please let me know, folks, if you are continuing to have problems with the new iTunes, and in the meantime, however you get there, do check out Wags and Kelly's "Video Lives." If you haven't seen it recently, check it out again because it just gets better with each playing--the indicia of a truly great short film!

     

    Mary Lynn

    Edited by Mary Lynn
Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.