Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Big hydroid from Norway

Started by Trevor Rees ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Big hydroid from Norway

5 posts
  1. post-4145-1158169308_thumb.jpg

     

    I recently returned from some diving in Norway above the arctic circle at the Lofoten islands.

     

    On a few dives, especially from 5 down to 20 mtrs were these very big white creatures looking like oversized hydroids. They were up to 6 inches tall - a single tube like stalk with a large flower head about 2 to 3 inches across. They were plentiful in sheltered silty inlets at around 10 mtrs depth.

     

    I've never seen anything like this in the west coast of Scotland and wondered if anyone could put a name to them.

  2. Wow, that was a quick reply. Nice links. Many thanks.

     

    Corymorpha nutans it is then.

  3. I'll go with that ID too. They are also found on both the west coast of Scotland and Ireland - in sediment seabeds, but are tricky to spot and you need to get your eye in. Saw some this year in Kilkieran Harbour in Connemara, Ireland - also I've seen them off the Garvellachs in Argyll, West Scotland.

  4. Paul,

     

    I think like me you are fan of green water west coast of Scotland diving so I'm interested to hear you have seen them in Argyl. I'll keep my eye out for them in future now I know that they are not exclusive to Norway.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.