This image of what I call a Tiger Shrimp, and I think it is also called a Nus Shrimp (after the Lembeh dive guide).
Anyway, a magazine is using this shot and they want to know the scientific name. And I am in Cayman where I doubt there is an Indo-Pacific ID book on the whole island. Help!
Thanks
Alex
There's one in Debelius that looks close, but you may want to confirm with a scientist...
Phyllognatha ceratophthalmus. The one in the book has a lot more "projections", but has the orange bits and black spots. There's one from Lembeh on www.reefimages.com, so I think it's the same critter.
Cheers,
Marli
Thanks Marli!
Alex
Thanks Marli!
Alex
Marli's right. The juvenile body shape is smooth and the extra fiddly bits are added as they grow larger.
Whatever it is its not a shrimp
Its a prawn.
While the word shrimp is often used generically to describe any shimpy prawny type critters - most "shrimps" are in fact prawns.
The difference between shrimps and prawns is in the arrangement of thier claws.
Prawns have chelate claws - like crabs claws
shrimps have sub-chelate claws - more like mantis claws
Whatever it is its not a shrimp
Its a prawn.
While the word shrimp is often used generically to describe any shimpy prawny type critters - most "shrimps" are in fact prawns.
The difference between shrimps and prawns is in the arrangement of thier claws.
Prawns have chelate claws - like crabs claws
shrimps have sub-chelate claws - more like mantis claws
To most people - including a lot of crustacean specialists - prawn is just another name for shrimp, especially for large shrimp in certain parts of the world. Which term is favored depends on the region.
To me it's a prawn if it goes on the bbq and a shrimp if it goes in a cocktail!