Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Windows users: don't update to iTunes 7

Started by echeng ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Windows users: don't update to iTunes 7

10 posts
  1. A warning: Windows users shouldn't upgrade to iTunes 7 yet. I did, and I can no longer play video. Reproduced from my online journal:

    It is absolutely incredible. iTunes for Windows keeps on getting worse! (read my old rant) The UI improvements in iTunes 7 are welcome, but I just tried playing a 320×240 downloaded podcast, and it totally takes down my 2Ghz Core Duo IBM Thinkpad T60p. Incredible.

     

    UPDATE: this seems to be specific to certain Windows machines -- some play video just fine.

     

    In the little integrated video window, the podcast is choppy. Heaven forbid that you’d want to click on the video to bring it up in its own window. At default size, podcasts run at 2 frames per second, and audio filters in and out. I would have been really embarrassed to release a software product so crappy.

     

    An anonymous iTunes development team member replied, “use the Mac version,” when I brought up the extreme shittiness of the Windows version. Nice. :blink:

    I work-around is to use Quicktime to play podcasts and other videos instead of iTunes.

     

    The Mac version seems to work fine.

    Edited by echeng
  2. I upgraded last night prior to watching the most recent DiveFilm Video Podcast by Wags and Kelly, and had no issues. (P4 3.2GHz)

     

    Not sure what the problem is on your end, Eric :blink:

    Edited by segal3
  3. Interesting. Maybe they've patched it already. I'm on a Core Duo notebook over here. Others have also complained about Windows playback. Maybe I'll give it a try on my desktop Windows machine.

  4. You're right. It does play fine on my desktop machine.

     

    I'll amend this post to say that you should be wary of the upgrade, as it may not work well on all machines!

  5. There was also a new update to Q.T. that was released at the same time. You might want to make suer that was installed ok.

     

    Jack

  6. Eric

    I loaded it up on my PC and it seemed to work okay but It's gone now as I did a roll back last night. I'm like you and use other ways to retrieve them. There is podcast catching software and even on line HTML feeds you can just go to and click on to download.

  7. There are still windows users?? how wierd!

  8. There are still windows users?? how wierd!
    According to browser stats from large organizations, in 2006 so far, 90% of people are using Windows OSes to browse the web. 3.6% Mac, 3.4% Linux.

     

    So, yeah. There are still Windows users.

  9. Where is the final 3% ?

    Edited by acroporas
  10. Where is the final 3% ?

     

    Probably other Unix OS (Sun, HP,BSD,....). If you lump those with linux Mac's are third.

    Edited by herbko
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.