Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Problems with TTL and a 5D

Started by azorean ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Problems with TTL and a 5D

7 posts
  1. Hi, I´m a bigginer in UW photography. I recently got my gear from Mauricio Handler. I geared my 5D with an Aquatica Housing, and a couple of DS - 125, TTL Cord (Product number 4104.6).

    However it seems the TTL function doesn´t work.

    I have been testing the gear and the results seem to show that it simply doesn´t work.

    I put the camera on manual, speed on 125, ISO on 100, changed the aperture from 2.8 up to f/32. And the result was that at 2.8 the object is over exposed (as up to f/9) and uder exposed from f/20 up.

    Any ideas, on what the problem can be?

     

     

     

    Any help is usefull, Thank´s.

  2. Hello and welcome to Wetpixel.

     

    What TTL converter do you have installed? Digital cameras need a "translator" to be able to "speak TTL" with your strobes.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Hello and welcome to Wetpixel.

     

    What TTL converter do you have installed? Digital cameras need a "translator" to be able to "speak TTL" with your strobes.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

     

    Hi James, I guess you found the problem. I am having a hard time getting started. The housing doesn´t bring instructions (Isn´t available yet), the substrobes don´t explain a thing and the book I have been using to learn about UW Photography doesn´t explain a thing about TTL circuitry. So all I have is two Ikelite DS 125 Substrobes, connected to the camera by two Ikelite TTL Cord/Nikonos Style. I guess I am missing a converter, wright?

    Can you tell me what my options are?

    I am in the Azores (mid atlantic Português Islands) so getting anything hear is hard., but it eventually does.

     

     

    Thanks a million, Azorean.

  4. Azorean,

     

    You need a Heinrichs-Weikamp TTL converter. You can find more on this here:

    http://www.heinrichsweikamp.net/blitz/indexe.htm

     

    I know it can be fitted in new Aquatica housings, and that it works with your combination of camera and strobes, but I'm not sure whether you can retrofit it yourself easily...

     

    You may also have to change your sync cord to get TTL functionality.

  5. Matt hit the nail on the head - you need to install or have installed a converter to shoot TTL. If you are very handy, or have an electrician handy, you can probably do the install yourself, otherwise I recommend sending the housing off to one of the wetpixel sponsors that does this sort of thing (Reef PHoto or UWPhoto Tech).

     

    On the other hand, you can just try shooting manual strobe power. For macro, 1/2 or full on the DS125's w/ a setting of F16 to F22 usually does the trick.

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. Matt hit the nail on the head - you need to install or have installed a converter to shoot TTL. If you are very handy, or have an electrician handy, you can probably do the install yourself, otherwise I recommend sending the housing off to one of the wetpixel sponsors that does this sort of thing (Reef PHoto or UWPhoto Tech).

     

    On the other hand, you can just try shooting manual strobe power. For macro, 1/2 or full on the DS125's w/ a setting of F16 to F22 usually does the trick.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

     

     

    What about the exposure label that comes with the DS - 125, it doen´t apply to digital cameras. Is there an exposure label for digital or does one have to make it himself? I am guessing the ISO FILM rating isn´t at all close to digital ISO, wright?

  7. The exposure tables provided with your strobe should actually be quite close to the mark.

     

    As James said, half or full power at F16 or F22 for macro should work well. Half or full should also work well for wide angle shots in most situation (in the clear Azores waters...)

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.