Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Using Spyder2Pro

Started by Kelpfish ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Using Spyder2Pro

18 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    I just loaded Spyder2Pro and calibrated my monitor to 6500k and 2.2 gamma. I let the software calibrate the black and white luminance. My system had what I thought was bretty bright and crisp colors and contrast so all of my images were adjusted to that "box configuration" of my monitor. When I ran the spyder, it was quite different and took the brightness down quite a bit. So that is point one. Another observation is when I open PS and view the image. When I flop back and forth from the Spyder profile and Adobe 1998, there is a a difference. Adobe 1998 takes the image and adds too much saturation. So one question I have is when I switch View, proof setup in PS and pick Adobe 1998, is it reverting back to the monitors default profile to calculate the ICC profile? What I am concerned about is that if editors and competitions view using Adobe 1998, what right, the spyder calibration at 6500 @ 2.2 gamma or the Adobe 1998 profile? Why the difference? I ran Spyerd several times using different options but the calibration was very consistent from one to another.

     

    I am posting some example images. One image is readjusted in PS using the Spyder profile and the other is from the "canned" profile used by my ViewSonic (VX2000). I was wondering if those of you very confident in your monitor calibration can comment on what images look better (brightness, contrast, color) based on your accurate monitor calibration. I am only moderately confident that I have the right profile and don't want to start sending out images that look cruddy on a well calibrated monitor.

     

    Appreciate any hints, feedback etc you may have to offer.

     

    This is from the old "as is" profilepost-1513-1158671143_thumb.jpg

     

    This one is using Spyder:

     

    post-1513-1158671229_thumb.jpg

     

     

     

    Original profile:

    post-1513-1158671289_thumb.jpg

     

     

     

    Spyder profile:

     

    post-1513-1158671330_thumb.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

    A couple of more for your review.

     

     

    Original profile

    post-1513-1158671618_thumb.jpg

     

     

     

    Spyder profile:

     

    post-1513-1158671658_thumb.jpg

     

     

     

    Original profile

     

    post-1513-1158671715_thumb.jpg

     

     

    Spyder profile

     

    post-1513-1158671766_thumb.jpg

     

    Thanks for your assistance. Just trying to get this calibration technique squared away.

     

    Joe

  2. Joe, your spyder pics are waaaaaaaaaay better than the non calibrated pics. much brighter and contrasty, not even close

  3. Joe,

     

    Your calibrated pictures look much better on my monitor too.

     

    It's not likely that the pictures displayed in Adobe 1998 now look exactly the same as what your pictures looked like before calibration. What the calibration with the Spyder2 does, is adjust the profile in such a way as to compensate for differences in how different monitors display the same thing. Adobe 1998 is a colour space that is not related specifically to your monitor.

     

    As for your question on competitions, if they are serious about doing things properly, they should be viewing pictures on a calibrated screen, i.e. have a correct colour profile for their screen, and convert submitted photos to their profiles so that they display properly on their screens (i.e. the same way that competitors viewed them on their screens, provided the latter were calibrated too). If it's not the case, then there's something wrong about the organisesrs...

     

    As a confirmation of this (?), my screen is calibrated with a spyder2 as well, and your calibrated shots look great.

     

    One last note: monitors tend to "drift" a fair bit with time, so it's important to re-calibrate your screen on a regular basis, say once a month.

  4. Joe... just pretend i said what Matt said in my post... :blush:

  5. Shall I call you Matt Veitch? :blush: Thanks for the feedback. I am feeling much more confident about the calibration. Have either of you used the Print CD that comes with Spyder2? Any advantages to loading it?

  6. Shall I call you Matt Veitch? :lol:

     

    Would my parents have hidden something from me :blush::P

     

     

     

    Have either of you used the Print CD that comes with Spyder2? Any advantages to loading it?

     

    I hadn't realised there even was such a thing on the CD. I normally use PS to print my shots. You just choose the correct paper type and disable colour management in the Printer Advanced Properties, then select the correct options in the PS Print menu "Let PS determine colours", "Perceptual, etc. and I get a print that very accurately reproduces what I see on the screen. The only times I ever have any problems is when I do not have a profile for the paper I use (e.g. some specialty papers).

  7. I agree with Matthieu, calibrating with Spyder does not affect the gamut of colors being shown (Adobe 1998 or otherwise) it only calibrates your monitor so that if other people calibrate their monitors using the Spyder profile settings, then they will see the picture the same way as you do on their monitor. Similarly if you are printing, calibrating your monitor is part of the process required to match your printer to your monitor, so that what you see is similar to the appearance of the print. When you switch profiles you are switching the monitor profile which was standardized for Adobe1998 on that monitor prior to using Spyder, you are not actually changing the colour gamut. I think I make sense.:blush:

  8. The printer profile software that comes with Spyder is different to the one obtained with GretMacbeth, as no actual measurement of the print colours is performed for profiling. Probably no major advantage over PS unless you are using unusual papers.

  9. I am not sure I understand. If a pro lab says that we need your digital file in RGB1998 Gamma 2.2 6500k, do I switch to Adobe 1998 in PS to do my color adjustments? I am assuming that my ICC profile loaded at boot up is still active, but by selecting Adobe 1998 I am now switching color space, and a correctly calibrated monitor is now giving me correct Adobe1998 color as well?

  10. Yes; Really what they are telling you is two separate issues. First use Adobe 1998. This defines the 'space' of colors available, that is the number of colors and their distribution across the spectrum of your photograph.

    Then they are telling you to calibrate your monitor to Gamma 2.2 and 6500k. This is so that when you are done adjusting your picture tro look the way you want it to, what you see on your monitor will closely resemble what they see on their monitor which is calibrated the same. Then if their printer is properly calibrated it will then print as seen on both yours and their monitor

     

    In general unless you have some specific reason to do otherwise, just standardise your camera and PS to use Adobe 1998

  11. how do you change the adobe gamma temp, and why 2.2

  12. I'm not sure I understand the question; but I think you are still confusing Colour Space with monitor settings.

    Think of your color space as the big box of crayons available to you to express all the different colours. If you choose Adobe 1998 you are choosing one box of crayons, if you are choosing sRGB you are choosing another box. The boxes may be similar but you will have some different shades available in one and not the other.

    Think of the monitor settings as the filter through which you view these colors; the filter may allow you to see the colors brighter or darker or maybe with a different tint depending on the filter (monitor settings ) you choose. Some of the other techies may correct me but I believe the option to choose Adobe 1998 in your monitor settings, it is simply a preset in your monitor idealized to view Adobe 1998 colours. When using Spyder monitor calibration it has nothing to do with the Colour Space you choose, you are simply setting up your monitor to a certain brightness (gamma such as 2.2) and tint (colour temperature such as 6500)

  13. im asking to disable the stock monitor setting before using a spyder monitor cal system

  14. When you use the Spyder 2 or other calibration hardware, they'll indicate the steps to follow. The very first step is generally to reset your monitor to its factory default prior to making any adjustments. You'll have to read the manual for your monitor to know how to do that.

  15. On the Mac I just followed the instructions on the Spyder software, I did not have to disable the stock monitor setting, the Spyder profile just replaced the stock profile. PC may be different.

  16. What I meant is that if you've made adjustments to the white point or gamma setting on your monitor before ever using the Spyder, it will ask you to rest the monitor to its factory default. If you've never touched these settings, then you can go straight into the calibration process...

  17. Yes, you have to know how to reset your monitor to factory settings. Also, on my laptop there isn't anything other than brightness adjustment. In this case Spyder does all the stuff itself. I will say that the quality of my Viewsonic monitor versus my laptop is vast. The pics on my laptop after calibration have almost the same color as on my desk top's ViewSonic, but the contrast and saturation on the laptop is almost non-existent. I can use PS to get the laptop image to look almost exactly like the very same image on my desktop, but not through spyder. Probably the difference in graphic cards. :blush:

  18. What I meant is that if you've made adjustments to the white point or gamma setting on your monitor before ever using the Spyder, it will ask you to rest the monitor to its factory default. If you've never touched these settings, then you can go straight into the calibration process...

    I've got it all working now, thanks for the advice. I also found the gamma setting on my dell in the startup program in programs.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.