Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Strange Vancouver Jelly Fish

Started by Gary Johnson ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Strange Vancouver Jelly Fish

9 posts
  1. Here are a couple of pics of a strange Jelly which was encountered off of Vancouver Island. The body was 18-24 inches across. Nobody I have talked to has seen one before. Any Ideas????

     

    Thanks

     

    Gary

    post-7446-1158711678_thumb.jpg

  2. Here are a couple of pics of a strange Jelly which was encountered off of Vancouver Island. The body was 18-24 inches across. Nobody I have talked to has seen one before. Any Ideas????

    Thanks

    Gary

     

    Hi Gary--

    Welcome to Wetpixel. That is a beauty and quite odd - where are the feeding tentacles?. One of the top west coast jelly experts is in your neck of the woods -- Claudia Mills at the U. Washington Friday Harbor Lab. You'll find her email address on her web page plus a whole lot of jelly links at http://faculty.washington.edu/cemills/

    Good luck -

    Leslie

  3. Okay it seems to be a lion's mane jelly - Cyanea capillata - that's lost all of its tentacles. Odd, very odd....

  4. Here is another pic if it helps.

     

    Thanks

     

    Garypost-7446-1158799217_thumb.jpg

  5. Yah, looked like a lions mane...

     

    But, as noted, without tenacles... had me wondering there too..

    strange...

     

    Here's some lions mane, they're all over Puget Sound and up at Sunshine Coast >Porpoise Bay etc...

     

    (apologies, out of focus)

    post-1459-1158874006_thumb.jpg

    Edited by fpoole
  6. Yah, looked like a lions mane...

     

    But, as noted, without tenacles... had me wondering there too..

    strange...

     

    Here's some lions mane, they're all over Puget Sound and up at Sunshine Coast >Porpoise Bay etc...

     

    (apologies, out of focus)

     

     

    Actually Frank, that's a scrambled egg jelly; the lion's mane are red and more segmented.

     

     

    Jack

    Edited by JackConnick
  7. Actually Frank, that's a scrambled egg jelly; the lion's mane are red and more segmented.

    Jack

     

    Yah, I just say one over on NW divers, Jon...

     

    so we'll try this one?? mo'reddish?

    I had thought the Yolks were smaller ones.. but I'm finding that they are not.. so this might be a yolker too..jeeez, now i don't know... heheh...

    post-1459-1158876692_thumb.jpg

  8. Yah, I just say one over on NW divers, Jon...

     

    so we'll try this one?? mo'reddish?

    I had thought the Yolks were smaller ones.. but I'm finding that they are not.. so this might be a yolker too..jeeez, now i don't know... heheh...

     

    Yeah, just stick your hand in and see :blush:

     

    I think this is a Lion's Mane. From my eye the Scambleds have sort of clumps of, well, scrambled eggs, inside of a translucent bell. The Lions have more even color.

     

    Jack

  9. fpoole, Both of those photos are of Phacellophora, or "Fried-Egg" jellies. Cyanea doesn't have tentacles growing from the lobes/margin. Instead they are attached to the subumbrella, right next to the oral arms.

    Cheers,

    Wyatt

     

    ps Gary, those first photos of cyanea are gorgeous!

    Edited by Seriola

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.