Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Winter the Dolphin in the News Again

Started by seagrant ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Winter the Dolphin in the News Again

2 posts
  1. The dolphin who lost her tail in a crab trap last Dec '05 that I posted pics and a story of recently is in the news yet again:

     

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060925/ap_on_...ailless_dolphin

     

    It has been a great honor for me to help her recover and I've posted some pics and written an account of it in the "2nd person" so to speak, so I could describe events in "human terms". (Without being accused of being "anthropomorphic"....)

     

    If you haven't looked at the story, it is worth a read. Click on link on my home page.

     

    http://www.oceangrant.com

     

    If anyone is in Clearwater, Florida you can see her at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium:

     

    http://www.cmaquarium.org/

     

    As Steve McCulloch, the dolphin expert from Harbor Branch, told me............., she really IS special! :blush:

     

    Let's hope this doesn't happen to any more dolphin or other sea creatures, although it will, sea turtles, manatee, etc. sometimes get caught on the buoy line or in the wire opening.

     

    Carol

  2. When I first read your story about Winter I really felt inspired and now I am glad she keeps going on!! :blush:

     

    But what strikes me is reading in the Yahoo article:

     

    "A dolphin in Japan has a prosthesis, the first in the world, to replace a missing part of its tail."

     

    and then seeing what these japanese do:

     

    http://www.glumbert.com/media/dolphin

     

    I will not write what I feel because I would be banned for sure :blush:

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.