I have an Ikelite housing for a Canon 20D and would like to install a flash mount for use with an focus light. I have purchased a hot shoe mount that has a plastic base, now I need help in determining what kind of "glue" to use to attach this to the housing with out doing any damage (i.e. deteriation of the plastic housing) It needs to be a glue that is strong.
Any one try this before with good results? Thanks for any replies.
If I remember correct there where report here of unsuccessful tries like this (James?).
I use the ulcs AC-NB part and it’s very comfortable, but it’s depending what arms you have since it's not work with all.
I would think a screwed on mount would be more useful so that you can remove it when necessary (like travel). Ultralight and others make mounts specifically for this purpose and they fit various types of light - Uke and Ikelite lights especially. This link shows the light connection in some images at the bottom - it's for illustration, I'm not promoting or commenting on anything in the text :-)
I wouldn't recommend screwing anything into your Ikelite housing - that sounds like trouble :-)
Acrylic cement is a solvent, that can be used to bond two pieces of acrylic together. It may be possible to mount a stud into a piece of acrylic and bond it to the top of your Ikelite housing. On the other hand, the acrylic solvent might degrade the integrity of your housing also. Now that I think of it, I think the housing front is polycarbonate and the back is acrylic...
This would be a good question for Brett F at Ikelite.
I tried using 2-part epoxy to bond a dovetail mount to my housing. I roughened the surface of the front and hoped that a bond would hold. It came loose right away.
Cheers
James
I meant screw as in screw down with a clamp or locking screw for the mount. Not into the housing. I'd be wary of any adhesives on the Ike housings unless you know ebnough about the chemistry to be sure you wouldn't damage the housing.
Rinjani
there are adhisives that will stick, and stick very well, i would personally contact ikelite technical just to be sure, but it wiill probably be a solvent cement or a super glue type, epoxy wont work
cant you mount this on an arm?
While Ike makes some terrific equipment and the mini c clamp could mount on an arm, I would prefer to use a different light for an upcoming trip and to place that focus light directly off the center of the housing for 2:1 and 3:1 life sized macro shots (critical manual focusing). Ike had this mount molded in on my last housing, but not on the 20D housing. I'm sure there was a good reason to exclude it on this one, but I don't know what the reason is, and I don't think it really matters (why). So now I think I may have to fabricate an arm to mount this hot shoe to, and use one of the lower corner base mounts to attach it to. Thanks to all who responded, and I think the new idea will work.
I welded a nut to the Ike ball clamp bolt head and it works a treat. The loc line base just then screws into the nut.
Great Idea and it looks good to.
I have an Ikelite housing for a Canon 20D and would like to install a flash mount for use with an focus light. I have purchased a hot shoe mount that has a plastic base, now I need help in determining what kind of "glue" to use to attach this to the housing with out doing any damage (i.e. deteriation of the plastic housing) It needs to be a glue that is strong.
Ouch!
I was looking at a way to mount a modeling light also, but chose (in my opinion) a more elegant route. :-)
I used an "Ikelite #9522 Removable Top Mount Assembly" cut down to fit a dSLR housing (you have to cut the pipe and drill a new hole). The assembly allows me to mount a light for night diving AND it works great as a general purpose carry handle. :-)
LateR!
js.
Jean, I get a "403 - Forbidden" for that link.
Cheers
James
Jean, I get a "403 - Forbidden" for that link.
Sorry - referrer checking on images. :-) I've added wetpixel to the list of "approved" referrers...
js.
jsmorris,
I'm curious to know what the hard black plastic things are on your rig?
Are they for bouyancy? If so, are they any good?
cheers, damien
I'm curious to know what the hard black plastic things are on your rig?
Are they for bouyancy? If so, are they any good?
Damien,
Yup, they were for buoyancy - made by Trident, I think. They worked ok, but were kind of floopie. I ended up developing a much better version and wrote a little article about it here:
Very nice solution, personally I don't need it since I uses the SB-150 that are not so negatives as the DS 125 but I'll point to your site a few friend with that problem.