Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Nikon Curves

Started by davichin ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Curves

2 posts
  1. Hello all! :blush:

     

    As far as I know, I can load a series of curves that will have effect on the jpg files that we get from the camera. I don´t know what do they really do...if it´s only colour...or contrast too...etc...(maybe we can low down the cyan burnout on sunballs etc...)

     

    In order to design the curves I need Nikon Capture software;So, before getting it, I would really like to know opinions on this, maybe examples or maybe we could make a database of curves for different locations, waters, conditions, type of pic (maybe a curve for macro and another for WA etc...)....

     

    Thank you very much!!!

  2. As you mentioned Nikon Curves affect JPEGs only. They can be very useful to have JPEG files that look great right out of the camera. You can't adjust colours (hue) with these curves, but you can play on saturation, brightness and contrast.

     

    I use one custom curve on my D100, on which I've boosted the shadows (to reveal some of the information there), toned down the highlights (to minimise or avoid blow-outs), and steepened the mid-tones to increase saturation.

     

    I shoot RAW in 99.9% of cases, so curves are very little use to me, really. But in those rare cases I shoot in JPEG, this works great.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.