Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Underwater Photo Keywords

Started by loftus ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Underwater Photo Keywords

6 posts
  1. As I categorize my pics I am generally choosing keywords arbitrarily as best I can. Is there an accepted hierarchial list available, particularly with regard to underwater photography, that is generally accepted?

  2. I have a list .. that have refined over the years .. it started off much longer until i realised what keywords were and then that you could use other fields like description or caption etc.

     

    I dont have my list with me .. but off the top of my head it is something like

    Wide Angle

    Macro

    Reef Fish

    Pelagic

    Coral

    Sponge

    Behaviour

    etc etc

     

    then I will put more detail in one of the other fields.

     

    Actually I think I recently made wide angle and macro categories instead of keywords and made the keywords all the subject types etc.

     

    It makes searching a breeze .. and is well worth the time and effort to work out a system .. it has taken me 3 complete redo's of 5000 images to ghet where I am happy with my system, I am sure it's not a perfect way though. But it works well and quickly for me.

     

    Giles

  3. Its not directly answer your question but its close enough :)

    I developed small software that works as PS plugin that helps adding metadata keywords to images.

    I created with that tool few lists of relevant words and add according to the image's subject.

    The tool can be downloaded from here.

    If you find it useful send me a PM and I'll send back activation code (The PM is to ensure it's someone from WP, from all the others I want $$ :P )

    Edited by Arnon_Ayal
  4. Thanks guys. I think I will start working something out on paper. Arnon, unfortunately your PS plug-in is for PC, I am a Mac user.

  5. Ok so home now .. I won't bore you with all my key words .. but i will show you how i came about my list .. just fully remembered.

     

    ACDSee with it's pro version 8 i think started doing IPTC and kept it's databasing etc .. so it's kinda a very cool mix.

     

    I have

     

    Categories .. such as Travel .. place names

    and Underwater .. Macro, Wide Angle, Night etc

    People .. Portraits .. action .. group

    Party ..

    ETC

     

    The categories help me Organise the images for BULK viewing

     

    The Keywords .. are a list such as I put before that are slightly more specific .. yet not fully defining .. Like sponge, coral, fish, behaviour etc

     

    So now with that info i can search in the catgories for Wideangle for keyword fish and i will find all my WA fish shots ..

     

    In my caption I put the type of fish .. so if i am specifically trying to find my yellow bellied hamlets .. (how i captioned it) I will type in one of those keywords or all and then those fish shots willpop up ... Now in some cases I added notes such as .. mating ... (which would also be in behaviour) and maybe if i remembered where it was .. the reef as well .. and they are all also catgorised as per the Country or island they were taken in (as per the original categories thing)

     

    It sounds like a lot .. but it really isn't.

    It's probably not that well written by me .. but it's kinda of hard to describe a process of digital organisation .. as it is mostly just making sense to me.. order is a personal thing .. so everyones order is different i imagine.

  6. OK thanks, this gives me something to work with. I am transferring all my images to Aperture from PhotoMechanic so this is a good time to get better organized.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.