I am wondering if any of you could pass on some advice as to how to best capture a colorful sunrise or sunset with a digital SLR. Shooting my D200 in various modes (fully automatic with exposure compensation of fully manual with either wide open or closed aperature and associated shutter speed) I seem to be unable to aptly capture the warm reds and yellows we often get in the early morning or evening sky. And some of the sunsets I've tried to capture are simply stunning. And it doesn't even have to be a tropical location! Ok, admittedly, this is the 'remote' tie-in to uw photography!
Anyway, this morning i was driving to w%*$ (I hate that 4-letter word) and saw the rising sun like the huge red fireball in my rearview mirror, just as it was rising over the horizon. I pulled over, grabbed my camera and tried to capture the amazing scene developing before me - alas to no avail.
Does anyone know of a basic "formula" for this kind of setting?
Thanks!