Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Canon 100mm/f2.8 macro in a dome port

Started by teddib ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 100mm/f2.8 macro in a dome port

3 posts
  1. OK I know this is probably a bad idea but I am tempted to try it anyway. I have a Canon 1DsMII plus the 100mm/f2.8 USM macro. I have a flat port that works for this combination but if I add the extension ring EF25II things do not fit so well. I am pursuing an adaptor that may work but I may end up making my trip to the far Northern GBR without anything. So here is my question. I do have a domed port for my wideangle lens. The macro fits in this and since the focal distance is fairly long it focuses just fine. What kind of abberation/distortion will I introduce if I attempt to use my macro in a domed port?

     

    Just wondering.

     

    Tom

  2. Shouldn't be a problem - I've used a 100 macro behind a dome before now and it worked fine (you'd be hard pushed to tell). Provided you are using smallish apertures (f/16 or smaller) any image curvature shouldn't be significant.

  3. Thanks for the reply. It is good news that you have tried this. Obviously the rig will be more bulky than optimal but this maybe my only option.

     

    Getting psyched for this trip which sounds like it is really out there. I now have to figure if I will only take the still or try to get the video camera along for the flight.

     

    Thanks,

    Tom

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.