Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Dome Magnifier on a Housing

Started by SCubed ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Dome Magnifier on a Housing

7 posts
  1. Im having difficulty seeing the corners of the viewfinder and was wondering if placing a dome magnifier on the housing would help any. Has anyone tried this with any success? How did you mount the magnifier?

     

    Thanks for the help

    post-4860-1159925099_thumb.jpg

  2. The index of refraction (n) for water is 1.33 vs. 1 for air. This means you will get a lot less magnifier from your lens UW compared to what you get in air. So you would have to experiment to find a magnifier that gives you the magnification you are looking for.

     

    Don't want to get in trouble with Ike if I'm wrong but I believe that Ike's viewfinders demagnifiy the image so that you can see the entire frame of the image. If so then more magnification might make the problem worse not better.

     

    With an Ike housing for a Nikon CP5000 I velcroed on an "Extend a viewfinder" magnifier that worked well with the camera's LCD. This of course was not the viewfinder of a dSLR.

  3. It did'nt work, I think the image is too far away to be magnified, its just a big blur.

  4. It did'nt work, I think the image is too far away to be magnified, its just a big blur.

     

    I think it will work if you try it underwater.

  5. ReefNet, a company I just discovered yesterday, sells an underwater magnifying glass that accounts for the higher refractive index of water. It's a 100mm focal length achromat so it probably needs too much working distance to be of use for seeing your viewfinder, but it looks like a great tool to carry in your BC pocket to get a better view of your LCD preview or get a magnified view of corals and other stuff. This lens is basically a +10 diopter, they say it can be used for macro photography, but the diameter is "only" 46mm and I don't see a practical way to attach it to the port. You can find more info at ReefNet subsee.

     

    They also have other cool stuff including noise makers and an advance depth/temperature data logging device for a very decent price. My Christmas came early yesterday ;)

     

    Bart

  6. ReefNet, a company I just discovered yesterday, sells an underwater magnifying glass that accounts for the higher refractive index of water. It's a 100mm focal length achromat so it probably needs too much working distance to be of use for seeing your viewfinder, but it looks like a great tool to carry in your BC pocket to get a better view of your LCD preview or get a magnified view of corals and other stuff. This lens is basically a +10 diopter, they say it can be used for macro photography, but the diameter is "only" 46mm and I don't see a practical way to attach it to the port. You can find more info at ReefNet subsee.

    I just ordered one of these with their custom bracket to mount on a port, in my case an Ikelite standard flat port. Keri Wilk provided sample photos taken with a Nikon 105 macro lens, and I was convinced.

     

    The custom bracket allows you to swing the magnifier out of the way, then swing back in place when desired. I'm very excited about it, and hope to post some results here soon (though they will only be Lake Erie or stream photos!). They may not have had the mounting capability in 2006, when this thread had expired, so I'm resuscitating it.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.