Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

BUOYANCY PROBLEM WITH FISHEYE DOME PORT

Started by tecdivertraining ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

BUOYANCY PROBLEM WITH FISHEYE DOME PORT

8 posts
  1. Hi All

     

    I am new to this board and am in search of some advice. I have recently added a fisheye dome to my sea & sea housing and am finding that its now very positive in the water any tips on the best way to combat this.

     

    Thanks matt

  2. Wrap an ankle weight around the throat (the done port's, not yours!)

     

    All the best, James

  3. Wrap an ankle weight around the throat (the done port's, not yours!)

     

    All the best, James

     

     

    Thanks James I will give it a go.

     

    cheers matt

  4. What port and housing are you using? I've not found a big problem with an aluminium alloy housing and a big acrylic dome when I have strobe arms attached (indeed, I've lightened my system with floating arm segments).

     

    In general, the expensive glass domes don't cause this problem.

     

    I'm a bit worried about the strain that is on the port if a weight is wrapped around it. Would a small weight (0.5-1.0kg) fastened to your housing with cable ties be better?

     

    If the centre of bouyancy is offset, and the housing twists with the port floating, it's easier to manipulate with solid handles. I find the Nexus handles particularly good, as my big port does twist like this when my strobes are at the typical 45-degree position. It's easier if they at the same level as the dome, which might be a better position anyway.

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  5. If the centre of bouyancy is offset, and the housing twists with the port floating, it's easier to manipulate with solid handles. I find the Nexus handles particularly good, as my big port does twist like this when my strobes are at the typical 45-degree position. It's easier if they at the same level as the dome, which might be a better position anyway.

     

    Tim

     

    B)

     

     

     

    This is a shot of my rig w/ a single SS200 strobe floating freely (well actually sinking a bit). I find the propensity of the dome to twist like this not at all annoying. I do agree that two handles would make things easier to handle though...

     

     

    post-5528-1160228125_thumb.jpg

  6. It helps to remind you to shoot up!

  7. Hoover,

     

    How do you like your housing? I haven't used a UK Germany in a while, but I loved their D60 housing.

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. Hoover,

     

    How do you like your housing? I haven't used a UK Germany in a while, but I loved their D60 housing.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

     

    Really love it. Nice workmanship and the balance is pretty nice.

    I can get to all the functions of the camera.

     

    I'm having a heck of a time getting the port centered because friggin' Canon refuses to tell me where the entrance pupil is for my 14mm. I built a rig and did the calcs but the edges still seem soft. I need to get in a pool in the daylight so I can make sure it isn't aperture related.

     

    Uwe is one of the few folks making a flat port that is large enough diameter for my 85 mm F1.2 L glass. I played around with that and can't wait to try some seal lion portraits with it.

     

    I actually have 2 housings. One for me and the other for the wife. Insta-spare :D I mean the camera not the woman.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.