I am a new member of the wetpixel forum, even though I have been a reader of the webpixel articles for a couple of years. I am a novice underwater photographer and have recently upgraded from an Olympus C-40 Zoom to an Olympus C7070. Definitely not at the level of SLR cameras yet
I was just given a Fisheye FIX Light HG20DX by a group of non diver friends when I mentioned I would love to have an underwater torch for my birthday. Having read Brad Brown's article in Backscatter, I just realised it's top of the line focus light and how generous my friends have been. I have not used a focus light before and frankly, no idea how to use it. One rather embarassing question I have (to show my ignorance in underwater photography) is, if I use the focus light for photos and leave it on, does it mean I do not need to use my strobe? Any tips on how to use it would be appreciated.
MJ
You should use the focus light for just that: to assist the camera focus. Except for very special cases, your strobe will remain your main light source.
Thanks for the advice. Does that mean I need to switch off the focus light before I take the photograph? It's not like the focus light on my strobe which switches off when the flash comes on (I think).
MJ
It depends on the relative intensity of your focus light an d your strobe. Generally, the latter should overpower the focus light, so you wouldn't get a hot spot on the picture. If you do get one, then just lock focus first (by half-pressing the shutter) and move the focus light briefly away while you take the shot.
Thanks. That was most useful. Can't wait to try it out in 2 weeks time. Just visited your website. Really nice photos!
MJ
Help if you cant please
A focus light on a dslr camera switch off automatically when the flash comes on ?
It depends on what you're using as a focus light. I use an independent light mounted on the top of my housing. It stays on all the time. Most lights work this way, as there is no signal between the camera and the focus light. Some strobes have focus assist lights that will shut off when you take the image. Since these are controlled on the strobe, the strobe will shut them off temporarily when the strobe fires, and then turn it back on when the strobe has finished firing.
I think some of the Inon and Ikelite strobes have this feature. There may be other brands that have this feature that I'm not aware of.
Your focus light (Fisheye) has a power knob. I leave mine on about 1/3 power until I find what I want to photograph, then turn it up to 1/2 to full power, depending on how dark it is (I dive in cold, dark, BC most of the time). After taking the shot, I turn it back down. This is because of battery life. On full, it will not last my entire dive. I would love to be able to leave it on full, but it only lasts 45 minutes. I can get two dives out of one battery charge this way.
As for hot spots, I have never had one with either one or two Sea & Sea YS90s.