Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Jellyfish -Northern Atlantic

Started by Trevor Rees ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Jellyfish -Northern Atlantic

2 posts
  1. post-4145-1160594254_thumb.jpg

    From a recent trip to Norway there were loads of these jellyfish. They are obviously a very common variety but I'm having trouble putting a name to them other than the 'cross jellyfish'.

    They are about 4 to 5 inch across and occur in the UK too, although I do not think I've seen them in the UK

    Any information?

  2. Appears to be a hydrozoan... looks like a super huge Eutonina species. But I'm sure its a completely different genus, will check my books at work...

     

    Here... found an online reference. Looks identical to what you have there...

    Staurophora

     

    We call Mitrocoma spp. the 'Cross Jelly' over here in the Pacific. :)

     

    -Wyatt

    Edited by Seriola

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.