Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Caribbean Goby

Started by acroporas ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Caribbean Goby

12 posts
  1. When I was in bonaire I took a ton of pictures of Sharknose Gobies Gobiosoma evelynae. But today I noticed that these guys are not like the others. Any idea what speces they are?

     

    goby2.jpg

     

    goby.jpg

    Edited by yahsemtough
  2. Pretty fish. Luiz will know what they are!

     

    Alex

  3. Looks like a Yellownose goby (p.265 in Reef Fish ID) Gobiosoma randalli.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  4. Yep, Marli is correct, the only thing is that now the cleaner gobies are in the genus Elacatinus, so should be Elacatinus randalli. This species only occurs in the southern Caribbean.

     

    Luiz

  5. Yep, Marli is correct, the only thing is that now the cleaner gobies are in the genus Elacatinus,

    Luiz

     

    When did this happen.

  6. Back in 2003, here:

     

    RUBER, L., VAN TASSELL, J. A., AND ZARDOYA, R. 2003. RAPID SPECIATION AND ECOLOGICAL DIVERGENCE IN THE AMERICAN SEVEN-SPINED GOBIES (GOBIIDAE, GOBIOSOMATINI) INFERRED FROM A MOLECULAR PHYLOGENY. Evolution, 57(7) pp. 1584–1598.

     

    FishBase has already corrected their database, check this link:

     

    http://fishbase.org/NomenClature/Scientifi...amp;backstep=-2

     

    Paul Humann guide still uses Gobiosoma because it was published in 2002.

     

    Luiz

  7. Are you serious we don't get these in Cayman ?

     

    I need to take my macro out more !

  8. Thanks for the refrecne Luiz.

     

    Paul Humann guide still uses Gobiosoma because it was published in 2002.

     

    My copy was printed in 1994. :)

  9. Oh, you have the old one! The 1994 edition has many mistakes, you should get the 3rd edition (2002), I think it goes for $25 at Amazon.

     

    Giles, there are similar species in Cayman, but this one has never been recorded there.

     

    Luiz

  10. Oh, you have the old one! The 1994 edition has many mistakes, you should get the 3rd edition (2002), I think it goes for $25 at Amazon.

     

    Luiz

     

    Well 2002 was 4 years ago. Maby I should just wait for the 4th edition.

  11. I'm no help in fish ID, but I think that's a really nice shot getting the two to line up in such pretty surroundings.

     

    Where's your Bonaire gallery?

    Edited by herbko

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.