I have finally started my Final Cut Pro training, never having done any sort of video editing, not even iMovie.
I just got finished importing all my clips, deleting the lame ones, and naming all the rest by category. I didn't get any topisde footage, no equipment set up and explanation ala expedition documentary, and hardly any land shots at all, and little diver interaction stuff.....I think all that was a mistake.....however, I have tons of really good small to macro footage.....many of which I will smooth out via Apple's Shake program using the smoothcam feature.
But style is another thing...we've all seen tons of documentaries and ocean shows, but when it comes to formatting it all into something coherent, well, that is a different story. Things like dissolve transitions seem best when aiming for that artistic, dreamy stuff....best set to music. I find myself watching Mark Stantons Divers Down cable show to see his editing style.....hard transitions which are good for documentary stuff....
I intend on recording my voice doing descriptive narration, but it is one thing to look at the length of a clip of a particular animal, then figure out what you want to say about that animal within that length of clip, but most documentaries have narratives that overlap clips....and the stuff where their is songs WITH narration, and the volume drops intervallically when the narration goes, then up goes the volume, well, you have to know what part of the music can have the volume lowered, it sure is a ton of stuff to think about.
What resources are available for us to learn all this stuff? As the editing programs are just tools, now I need to learn how to create a style with the tools. I am overwhelmed with trying to get the style part, so I am at the asking stupid questions part right now, lol.....