Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Yo Jack!

Started by fdog ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Yo Jack!

6 posts
  1. Yo, Jack Connick! I saw your Apollo is up for sale. I'll put the word out, but most folks I know that are in the market, are looking at an X.

     

    ....not considering upgrading, perhaps?...

     

    waitingatsurface.jpg

     

     

    Best of luck selling!

     

     

    All the best, James

  2. Yo, Jack Connick! I saw your Apollo is up for sale. I'll put the word out, but most folks I know that are in the market, are looking at an X.

     

    ....not considering upgrading, perhaps?...

     

    Best of luck selling!

    All the best, James

     

    Thanks dude!

     

    Yeah, upgrading to a DSLR! I've kind of found scooters and large camera systems to be incompatible. At least in cold water usage.

     

    The X is very cool and very expensive. The saddle mount on the Apollo AV2 is sort of different, ok strange. But works very well in practice.

     

    I haven't put an ad up here as it wasn't camera-related, but here's a link to SB.

     

    Apollo AV2 for sale

     

    Jack

  3. Man, I bet that would be SWEET for dolphin photography in the Bahamas.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. Jack, my wife has had issues with her PnS flapping in the breeze. On the other hand, I've lugged around a couple of huge housings with a tripod without issue, clipped to the left hip. Actually it's easier than swimming. Hmmm...maybe the theme here is that small cameras don't work as well with scooters?

     

    The times I've seen folks have problems with DSLR housings is when they have poor trim and let the housing (or stages or deco gas) get into the propwash. I've found proper trim and bouyancy are just as important scootering as when swimming, and bouyancy can change in a sneeky way with a scooter, since you aren't as aware of small depth changes.

     

    James, the problem of scootering with dolphins and taking a camera, is you are having too much fun to even think about images!

     

     

    All the best, James

  5. Are diving wet or dry? Drysuits add a whole 'nuther task issue. Also I'm sort of riding on front, so I'm the nose cone of the missile...

     

    I was thinking about a sort of camera bag slung beneath it, as I have two fold out arms I could 'binner some sort of net bag to, or something like a wet bag. It's actually pretty cool to drag my friends around on it, but scary on a wall!

     

    I don't know, if I don't get close to my price, I'm just going to hang on to it. A friend was talking about buying a half interest so we could "keep it in the family". That might work.

     

    Jack

  6. Both. Wet or dry, I go both ways. For me, scootering dry is actually easier, because I use the difference in squeeze to tell me what's happening to my depth. This is probabally the biggest reason I'm considering a tropical drysuit with a right shoulder exhaust, just so I can get the feedback in the tropics! Is that lazy or what.

     

    I haven't tried the Apollo missle-nose ride but would like to. For a lot of what I do, it looks like it would have issues with stages and stuff, though. Still, I like to have fun any new way that comes along!

     

    If you're in the area let me know and we'll hit Lobos, it is truly amazing how fantastic that dive area is with a scooter. It's a great place to dive anyway, but a scooter makes it come alive in a spectacular fashon.

     

     

    All the best, James

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.