Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Breaking into Underwater Videography

Started by Phil Horbury ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Breaking into Underwater Videography

3 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I'm rather new to Wetpixel (oh, let's say....48 hours?) but at first glance it seems to be exactly what I am looking for. Let me explain, if I may. I'm about to leave the sunny climes of Leytonstone (for those of you from London I can hear you all now......nice choice of area to live in, Phil) to begin a five month full time OWSI MSDT Internship in Pattaya, NE Thailand - Jan 07, to be exact. I have 50+ dives to my name - alot of which are UK coastal so I know what I'm letting myself in for - and cannot wait!

     

    Thing is, I plan to expand the instructing etc and eventually move into U/W Videography of sorts - whether it be making holiday DVD's initially for experience and then moving into producing stock footage for sale and / or joining an established outfit somewhere to further :D the career. I'm thinking of buying a Sony HDR-HC3 with Amphibico housing - High Def, cost effective and looks good.

     

    Two questions to you wise folk - is that choice of kit a good idea for someone who's never shot U/W at all? Secondly can anyone give me some advice as to how to get into this game once I'm in asia and qualified?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Phil

  2. Hello Phil and welcome to Wetpixel.

    There is much info here already about shooting underwater but we are here to help you best we can.

     

    The HC3 is a nice little HDV setup and perfect to start off with but if you want to get into it full time you may find yourself out growing it fast.

     

    The next step up would be to go for something like a A1 or FX1 with full manual controls of things like shutter, exposure, white balance and focus as you will use then for sure once you get more into it and become videoligest

    like us :D .

     

    To shoot video good you first need to be at a point of diving where you have very good buoyancy and get to know your animals down there. That all takes time and practise.

     

    Cannot help you about the Asia thing, but I'm sure someone will here.

  3. Wagsy,

     

    That's ace - thanks a lot for the advice. Really appreciate it.

     

    I'll be sure to keep you informed of my progress!

     

    Phil

     

     

    Hello Phil and welcome to Wetpixel.

    There is much info here already about shooting underwater but we are here to help you best we can.

     

    The HC3 is a nice little HDV setup and perfect to start off with but if you want to get into it full time you may find yourself out growing it fast.

     

    The next step up would be to go for something like a A1 or FX1 with full manual controls of things like shutter, exposure, white balance and focus as you will use then for sure once you get more into it and become videoligest

    like us :D .

     

    To shoot video good you first need to be at a point of diving where you have very good buoyancy and get to know your animals down there. That all takes time and practise.

     

    Cannot help you about the Asia thing, but I'm sure someone will here.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.