Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Shell Wildlife Photographer Of The Year 2006

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Shell Wildlife Photographer Of The Year 2006

8 posts
  1. Last night I went to the award ceremony for the Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year, and I have to say that the portfolio of winning and commended images is especially impressive this year.

     

    I didn't trouble the judges too much, scraping a highly commended in the Animal Behaviour (not birds or mammals).

     

    There were many award winning underwater images. With 4 category winners and the overall winner being underwater subjects. I guess the PADI project AWARE sponsorship helped! :D

     

    Category winners with UW shots were

    Goran Ehlme (Sweden) - for a shot of a Walrus that really polarises opinion. Overall Winner, and winner of Animal Behaviour (Mammals).

    Michael AW - for a swimming Mimic Octopus (a great shot). Winner of Underwater World.

    Tibor Dombovari - for a baracuda portrait. Winner of Animal Portraits.

    Andre Seale - for a pretty shot of a turtle being cleaned. Winner of Animal Behviour (not birds or mammals).

     

    Other UW award winners were (in alphabetical order):

    Ross Armstrong

    Tobias Bernhard

    Jordi Chias

    John Johnson

    Jun Kezuka

    Alex Mustard (me!)

    Gavin Parsons

    Manu San Felix

    Carlos Villoch

     

    You should be able to see the winners online here:

    http://www.nhm.ac.uk/wildphoto/

     

    Alex

     

    Other comments:

     

    Nearly all the winning images were digital. And it surprised me that by far the most popular camera was the Nikon D2X. The Nikon D70 was next most popular, then the Canon 1DS Mk2.

     

    There were few photographers this year winning with multiple images. And few Brits. Germans, Dutch, Spanish, Swedish and Americans dominated.

     

    The press day is today - although I am now in Finland, en route to Estonia.

     

    Alex

  2. Congrats to all that were recognized, a truly great honoUr for each of you.

     

    Have fun with Royalty this weekend too.

     

    Cheers

     

    Todd

  3. I see there few known name, congrats!

    The site is not online now, hope to see the images soon.

  4. Site seems to be up now...

    Really great stuff & some beatuful shots :D Diving with a walrus has to be quite an experience.

     

    Congrats to everyone involved!

  5. and the winner use natural light ...... :D

  6. I think I like the walrus photo. It's not a "beautiful" photo, but it really captures the moment, and it's certainly a difficult subject to work with.

     

    Congrats Wetpixel members - this is a big deal.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. Swirling Shoal is amazing...interesting it was taken with F5... Light is dazzling.

     

    M.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.