Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

O Ring cleaner

Started by ScubaSpen ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

O Ring cleaner

7 posts
  1. Hi

     

    I am looking for any suggestions on what to use to clean the O Ring to keep those nasty hairs and bits off it.

     

    Thanx

  2. I am looking for any suggestions on what to use to clean the O Ring to keep those nasty hairs and bits off it.

     

    0. Make sure your work area and hands are clean (no hairs, dirt, sand, etc.)

    1. Remove o-ring with plastic pick

    2. Clean the groove and mating surface the o-ring seals against. (q-tip or foam swab)

    3. Use a lint-free cloth (or good quality paper towel) to gently wipe the old grease/lube off the o-ring.

    4. Regrease the o-ring. (no big globs of grease, slick like a fish)(if the o-ring was really dirty, repeat steps 3 and 4)(never set the o-ring down once it's clean and regreased)

    5. Inspect everything closely _before_ reassembling. (use a small light and magnifying glass/reading glasses, if necessary)

  3. I rinse the o ring in the faucet when really bad and dry with a microfiber cloth, then lightly re-grease.

  4. Thanks for the comments.

     

    What kinda cloth/material would you suggest? Do you mean using something like baby wipes.

     

    Thanks again for the help

  5. Thanks for the comments.

     

    What kinda cloth/material would you suggest? Do you mean using something like baby wipes.

     

    Thanks again for the help

     

    Micro fiber cloth - you can get little ones at any eyeglass shop, I bought a big bag at Sam's club of large hand size cloths. Clean domes, lenses whatever.

  6. Hi

     

    I am looking for any suggestions on what to use to clean the O Ring to keep those nasty hairs and bits off it.

     

    Thanx

     

    I have found an old toothbrush works well, both on the Oring and the groove, grabs hairs and lint. I use a little dish detergent to wash it from time to time to keep it clean.

     

    Dave

     

    EDIT: Clarification - The dish detergent is to clean the brush, not the O ring. :D

    Edited by dwloop
  7. I use the dish detergent (a tiny drop) in warm water at the end of the trip. Otherwise, I use J-cloths and food grade silicone that comes in a pump spray, which is available at dive shops. Don't use the fake J-cloths; they leave fibres behind.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.