Just ordered an Aquatica A5000 housing for my coolpix! Blake, hurry up I'm waiting!!
I forgot to ask about modelling lights. I'm using 2xNikon SB-105 strobes, so no lights.
I mostly dive in BC at night, so I hear I'll need lots of light for the lcd.
Any suggestions?
Yes you will need light as the more light the faster it will focus. I would suggest the following.
Ultralight Control Systems part numbers:
AD1420 - Universal Threaded Ball Adapter. This fits the 1/4-20 female thread on top of the a5000 housing.
ACSLQ - Spotting light adapter to hold two UK Mini Q40's
Two UK Mini Q40 lights.
This is a great compact but very bright setup. I have this only in the single light version and I have ended up difusing the beam with a small piece of stage lighting diffusion filter (Lee Filter sample swatch. Free, hint, hint).
Aquatica has a mount for the A5000 for the hole on the top of the housing and, there is a light mount for the strobe arms as well.
I ordered from Blake. Sorry I don't recall the part number but I think it is on the website in the catalogue area.
Thanks for the tips guys. Are the mini Q40s really bright enough?
Is the Aquatica part for the Q40 as well?
Just dove with my new rig today. No modelling light yet.
I used my 20 watt dive light for supplemental lighting, for focus, composition etc. The resulting shots DID show the dive light beam in the image.
So, how can I avoid this issue with a modelling light? The Q40s aren't too bright, but they are pencil sharp and I would assume they would show up as well??
I use a Q40 and placed a cut swatch of diffusion filter material inside to spread the light. You can get swatch books free of charge from Lee Filters. I suggest the "The Cinematographers' Edition" as the swatches are larger and they can be used for all sorts of creative ideas. These swatch books have many different strengths of diffusion material so you can try out a bunch to see which one works for you,
I use a princeton 4 c cell light with the wide angle diffuser as my aiming light. It leaves no sign in the image if I use a strobe. I prefer it to the Q40 (I have the ultralight holder for 2 Q40s) due to the much wider beam. I'm surprised that if you are using a strobe that the light would show up in your picture. I would have thought that this would only happen if you use a HID light.
I was surprised to see the light in the shots too. Had to look at all photos to be certain, but yup.