Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Photoshop CS2 vs Elements

Started by DiveBum ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Photoshop CS2 vs Elements

5 posts
  1. I’m currently using MS Picture It 7.0 and have been using it for about 2 years now and it has worked well. However I just upgraded to a D200 and would like to shoot in the RAW and Picture It can not process RAW. I would like to upgrade not only my editing software but my computer too. So this is a two part question?

     

    1. Mac or PC? I have heard that Mac’s are better at graphic arts? (not sure what that means) I know this is like asking which is better Ford or Chevy, but I would like your opinions.

     

    2. Photoshop CS2 or Elements?

     

    Thanks in advance,

    Semper Dive,

    Brian

  2. I use Elements 3.0 on my PC and find it just fine. I started with Elements 2.0 but needed to work on RAW files so changed to 3.0. There have been versions 4.0 and now 5.0 which no doubt will have enhancements.

     

    I am not sure CS2 has any benefits for me but them I have not used it to know if I am missing out on anything other than saving a lot of money.

     

    I use Elements 3.0 for Nikon D50 RAW files but have the dowloads off the Adobe web site so that I can read D200 and D80 RAW files.

  3. Be sure to check which version of the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in is compatible with the D200. There are certain versions of the ACR plugin that are incompatible with particular versions of Photoshop/Elements. I vaguely remember seeing something on the Adobe site stating that the latest version of ACR is compatible with Photoshop CS2 or better. From what I remember, it made no mention of Elements.

  4. Obviously, a Mac. ;)

     

    About Photoshop, you should maybe add Lightroom to your list of Adobe RAW software. All these programs have free trial versions available (Photoshop is 30 day, I believe, Lightroom is through February), so you should be able to decide for yourself.

  5. Thanks for all of your comments, I just purchased Photoshop Elements 5.0. Hopefully the learning curve isn’t too steep.

     

    Semper Dive,

    Brian

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.