Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Please help me pick a underwater digital photo set up

Started by losta ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Please help me pick a underwater digital photo set up

3 posts
  1. I hope I'm not too off topic

    I know there are probably lots of threads like this but... I have a few needs.

    This would be mostly for snorkeling and on water photography.

     

    1-ability to shoot RAW-most important

    2- fairly compact

    3- manual control ability

    4- fairly wide lens at least 35mm though 28 or wider preffered

    5- prefer SD or CF cards

    6- prefer around $1000 or less for kit

     

    Could be new or used.

    I already have a D80 and 5D but would rather get a seperate camera for in water. I would consider a D70s if I could find inexpensive but good housing for it.

    Need by Thanksgiving for a Caribbean trip.

    I have considered oly evolt (on the expenive side considering what I have already), Oly 350 (not SD or CF and slow RAW), Canon G6 (can I find housing?)

    etc.

     

    Thanks in advance.

    losta

    Edited by losta
  2. Have you considered renting a housing and strobes for your trip; you have great cameras. Call Ryan at Reef Photo, he will hook you up.

    I hope I'm not too off topic

    I know there are probably lots of threads like this but... I have a few needs.

    This would be mostly for snorkeling and on water photography.

     

    1-ability to shoot RAW-most important

    2- fairly compact

    3- manual control ability

    4- fairly wide lens at least 35mm though 28 or wider preffered

    5- prefer SD or CF cards

    6- prefer around $1000 or less for kit

     

    Could be new or used.

    I already have a D80 and 5D but would rather get a seperate camera for in water. I would consider a D70s if I could find inexpensive but good housing for it.

    Need by Thanksgiving for a Caribbean trip.

    I have considered oly evolt (on the expenive side considering what I have already), Oly 350 (not SD or CF and slow RAW), Canon G6 (can I find housing?)

    etc.

     

    Thanks in advance.

    losta

  3. if you are looking for a compact then i think you will find RAW times will be slow on all of them.

     

    saying that, i have heard nothing but good things about the Oly 350

     

    i think getting the latest from Oly or Canon is usually a good way to go. Not sure about the latest Canon number...

     

    As for a D70. have a look around in the classifieds, should be some used ones on there. that would def take care of all your needs.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.