Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

SoCal Octopus

Started by segal3 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

SoCal Octopus

5 posts
  1. Santa Cruz, Channel Islands

    1" length

     

    IDocto.jpg

     

    I'd almost think Octopus ornatus, but not sure about their range...any ideas?

  2. I notice it has an eye spot below the eye. Could it be a juvenile Two-spot octopus Octopus bimaculatus? (Just a guess, because it's way out of P.N.W. range, so I've never seen one.) Whatever it is, a great shot!

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. In some of the other photos from the series, the spot is definitely more apparent - thanks Marli.

  4. Hi Matt - Can you post or send one of the images in which the spot is more evident? I'll pass it on to my friend Megan Lilly who's a SoCal octo specialist.

    thanks, leslie

  5. Nice image none the less.

     

    Todd

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.