Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Who's the Daddy?

Started by TisTam ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Who's the Daddy?

6 posts
  1. I took this photo last week in the Grenadines, southern Carribean of a juvenile fish about 1.5cm in diameter. Can anybody tell me if this is a Cowfish?

    post-3303-1162834394_thumb.jpg

  2. A type of Boxfish for sure.

     

    Cow Fish are Yellow I thought when juvenile ...

     

    I would say Trunkfish .. but they are normally inverted colours of your photo i.e. dark body light spots. But could be a variation.

     

    Cool Photo though whatever a real expert says it is ..

    Edited by Giles
  3. I thought 'Boxfish' but have never seen one out there before so thought juvenile Cowfish more likely (or Trunkfish).

     

    Should perhaps have mentioned that I saw this little guy just off the coast whilst snorkelling in about 1.5m of water - not sure if that makes any difference.

     

    And thanks for the compliment, Giles! ;)

  4. Hi,

     

    The juveniles aren't normally patterned like the adults, so I may be wrong, but that spot pattern (almost perfectly round dark dots on a white base) looks a lot like the spotted trunkfish. I saw my first spotted a couple of weeks ago in the Bahamas. I'm used to seeing smooth trunkfish, and even golden smooth trunkfish, but not spotteds, so it was a fun moment for me.

     

    Cheers!

    smash

  5. Cowfish, including the juveniles, have two horns which I don't see on your picture. The shape of your one matches that of the smooth trunkfish but as Giles said they have a dark body with yellow/pale spots (see Humann & Deloach, page 392). They don't give a picture or description on the spotted trunkfish juvenile form but at least the adult has a light undercolour with dark spots so I think it's your most likely guess and at least one website photo from the deep see images library seems to support it.

     

    juvenile spotted trunkfish

     

    Bart

  6. I agree with the above, should be a juvenile trunkfish (genus Lactophrys). Hard to tell which species...

    Edited by Rocha

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.