New to the 5050 various media offerings. Primary goal is fast write tiems, rather than getting as much as I can on any one form of media. I figure I have to open the housing to change batteries every 2-3 drives, I can download and/or change media then as well.
Have a 512 CF on the way, wondering whether shooting to an xD and transfering mid dive to the CF, if necessary, is easy and/or fast while the camera is in the housing?
Thanks
Chris
It's very easy.
A couple of menu choices gets you to "copy" and then "all" and it copies from whichever media you have selected to the other. You can also select individual images to copy. I did about 100 640x480s from the xD to a 512CF and it seems to me that it took a couple minutes, tho I didn't time it. I'm using a 128 xD and the 512 CF with another 512 CF (from the recent short-lived Dell deal) on the way. The xD is clearly quicker to write to than the CF. But I think IMHO this is a good way to go.
If you want to do this mid dive I forgot to mention then you would have to edit and delete the images on the xD, thereby taking another couple of minutes. You'll see how easy it is when you get used to the menu system and try it out. Time both of the activities with a full xD. My guess is that it takes a bit longer than you might think. I don't have enough experience with the camera yet to be any more definitive.
While the write time to xD is specked to be faster than CF I supect that UW you'd be better off filling the xD card and then switching to the CF card to write to, rather than copying all and then formatting the drive. Besides I'm not sure if I want to be formatting/deleting pics UW.
Either way a 128 xD and 512 CF would be a great combo to have.
Thanks for the info
Besides I'm not sure if I want to be formatting/deleting pics UW.
I delete a lot of junk on the safety stop, so people think I take only good pics!