Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Sea & Sea DX-8000G Strobe recommendations

Started by John Lin ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea & Sea DX-8000G Strobe recommendations

6 posts
  1. I'm just getting into digital UW photography and am seriously considering the Sea & Sea DX-8000G as my first camera (don't want to go the consumer point and shoot route nor am I ready for a dSLR with housing - just too bulky). Any recommendations on an appropriate strobe to go with it? It would need to be something I could "grow into" - i.e. something I could continue to use if ever I jumped up to a dSLR and something with both manual controls and good auto functions as I start learning.

     

    Any recommendations? Thanks!

  2. hi

    i would consider a strobe from the inon range . im using a d180 which is a few years old now has done about 300 dives and been trouble free.

     

    do make shure whatever strobe you buy has a inbuilt modeling light, this is very helpfull for focus in low light .

     

    regards

    matt

  3. I have the Sea & Sea 90 Auto with this setup. Honestly though, I would not buy the DX8000 again. (I use DSLR now) The DX8000 is basically a Ricoh point-and shoot in a housing. I think you can do better with some of the other point-and-shoot cameras with appropriate housing. Many people really like the Fuji for low noise etc. I would find the best point-and shoot you can considering all the features, then gewt an appropriate housing, or go DSLR.

  4. I have the Sea & Sea 90 Auto with this setup. Honestly though, I would not buy the DX8000 again. (I use DSLR now) The DX8000 is basically a Ricoh point-and shoot in a housing. I think you can do better with some of the other point-and-shoot cameras with appropriate housing. Many people really like the Fuji for low noise etc. I would find the best point-and shoot you can considering all the features, then gewt an appropriate housing, or go DSLR.

  5. I would agree with the above comments in principle. I decided to go digital last year and choose the 8000G.

    It produced a much better and versatile picture than my previous MM11EX, and over the last year has

    re-0pened my interest and determination to produce better pictures.

     

    After a year with the 8000G I would say that by adding a wide angle lens, the pics are great but in macro mode I am not so impressed- the MM11 at f22 produces much better images.

     

    I use the Sea & Sea 90 auto with my 8000G, not bad but i'm thinking of adding a second strobe this year,

    and looking into a DSLR and housing that will also work with the arms and stobes I already have.

     

    I did write a comprehensive article on getting started with the DX8000G. I think it was added to this site. If not, e mail me at stephen_g_parry@hotmail.com and i'll send you a copy by return.

    Edited by Steve Parry
  6. I also have the DX8000g and I recently added the Sea and Sea YS-110 to it. The strobe is fantastic, I really like the built-in aiming light feature. For me the camera has enough features to keep me coming back for more. I'm still learning and I think that is what keeps us all firing away.

    Good luck

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.