Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Using a Nikonos SB 105 strobe with an Olympus C-7070

Started by J. Daniel ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Using a Nikonos SB 105 strobe with an Olympus C-7070

4 posts
  1. I have recently moved to using an Oympus C-7070 with an Olympus PT-027 housing. My previous UW photos were taken with a Nikonos-V 35mm. I am trying to use the Nikonos SB 105 strobe, in the slave setting, with my digital system. Visually the strobe appears to flash simultaneously with the Olympus built in flash, but results in photos that are underexposed when compared to the same subject taken with the slave off and only the built in flash on. What am I missing in this situation? Is the some setting in my Olympus that I need to deal with in order to get an enhance benefit of the strobe flash? Or are these two systems incompatable for what I am attempting to achieve? Can anyone comment on this and help me with the problem?

    J. Daniel

  2. Hello,

    Most of the digital cameras use pre-flash to measure the amount of needed flash light, this is dome by short flash before the main and more powerful strobe flash, The SB-105 is probably triggered by this pre-flash.

    To solve it you need to set the camera to nor use pre-flash, usually it's by setting the exposure mode to manual but need to be checked in the user manual of the camera.

    The easiest way to check is the external slave is fires correctly is by put it in from of the camera, if you shot and you image is totally white it's ok.

    Edited by Arnon_Ayal
  3. Here is a good discussion about the issue you're facing. http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/slave-ttl-for-digicams1/ Mathias Heinrichs makes a bulkhead adapter for your housing that will allow you to use TTL or fire the SB105 directly. I think its just under $200. The problem is that the SB105 doesn't have a setting to ignore the preflash. What you might be able to do is go into the camera settings and turn off the ttl by setting the internal flash to manual mode.

  4. Hello,

    Most of the digital cameras use pre-flash to measure the amount of needed flash light, this is dome by short flash before the main and more powerful strobe flash, The SB-105 is probably triggered by this pre-flash.

    To solve it you need to set the camera to nor use pre-flash, usually it's by setting the exposure mode to manual but need to be checked in the user manual of the camera.

    The easiest way to check is the external slave is fires correctly is by put it in from of the camera, if you shot and you image is totally white it's ok.

     

    Arnon, Thanks for replying to my question. I will attempt to go through my manual, which is on a CD, but which I find very complex and somewhat over my head.

    J. Daniel

     

    Here is a good discussion about the issue you're facing. http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/slave-ttl-for-digicams1/ Mathias Heinrichs makes a bulkhead adapter for your housing that will allow you to use TTL or fire the SB105 directly. I think its just under $200. The problem is that the SB105 doesn't have a setting to ignore the preflash. What you might be able to do is go into the camera settings and turn off the ttl by setting the internal flash to manual mode.

     

    Thanks Gary, I will check out the discussion on the url that you suggested. As I indicated to Arnon I find my user manual somewhat advanced for my camera knowledge lever. J. Daniel

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.