Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea & SEa 16mm lens for Nikonos

Started by TedJ ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea & SEa 16mm lens for Nikonos

4 posts
  1. Has anyone had any experience with using the Sea & Sea 16mm lens with the Nikonos V camera? How does it compare with the Nikkor 20mm?

  2. I have used the S&S 15mm lens. It does a good job for about half the price. There is no question that it is not as sharp as the Nikonos 15, especially on anything larger than 8x10. It has a minimum focus of 1' with a DOF starting at 6" on f22, the same as the Nikonos. The S&S HO viewfinder is very nice.

     

    The Nikkor 20 is an incredible lens. Probably the sharpest lens of the Nikonos. It just isn't wide enough for most. I would suspect the 16 to be lesser quality yet. Doesn't it attach to a 35mm?. IMO you would lose more than you would gain.

  3. Ted,

     

    The screw on 16mm wide angle adapter lens is not very good at all, the edge deffinition is very poor and it's very heavy. It is not the smartest thing S & S ever did. I had one given to me, and I promptly passed it on. The very concept of screwing a heavy lens onto a smaller bayonet one frightens me somewhat too!

     

    Primary Lenses.

    The 20mm Nikonos lens is my 90% bread & butter lens, its small, cute, sharp as a pin and does the business.

     

    The Sea & Sea 20mm lens is also very good and the only difference I can see from the above is the cost, it is also very sharp with slightly closer focus (5" @ f22)

     

    As Scotty said: The 15mm S & S is very inferior to the Nikonos, but do try out the S & S 12mm lens & finder.

    The 12mm is pin sharp from 0" to infinity on f22. This is my favouritist underwater 'arty' lens ever.

  4. Like Cybergoldfish says; the 12 mm S&S is awesome. I had one before. It took some time to get used to it. You can actually fit in a whole whaleshark at 35 cm distance (I think) if you are lucky seeing one ;-) My fins were on the first 2-3 rolls of film (it is that wide!)

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.