Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Something I learned at DEMA

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Something I learned at DEMA

17 posts
  1. You may remember me asking about Subal port O-rings a few months ago. The ones I was supplied with (blue) with the port (inc spares) seemed very loose. Later (after two floods in one year) I noticed that some spare O-rings supplied were slightly smaller in circumference and sat snugly in the groove. I asked SW if the tighter ones were correct and he said No.

     

    I asked the guys from Subal about this while at DEMA. It seems that the first ones I was supplied with were the wrong size! Furthermore, they were not original Subal parts. It seems SW in the UK supplies his own blue ones and got the size slightly wrong. If you have blue O-rings on your Subal ports, check that they fit snugly and are not a sloppy fit. It could save you a camera and lens (or two).

     

    Meanwhile, I was so freaked out by these seemingly arbitary floods, I bought another system! Pity!

    Edited by John Bantin
  2. Sounds like SW (whoever that is) owes you some money!

     

    You may remember me asking about Subal port O-rings a few months ago. The ones I was supplied with (blue) with the port (inc spares) seemed very loose. Later (after two floods in one year) I noticed that some spare O-rings supplied were slightly smaller in circumference and sat snugly in the groove. I asked SW if the tighter ones were correct and he said No.

     

    I asked the guys from Subal about this while at DEMA. It seems that the first ones I was supplied with were the wrong size! Furthermore, they were not original Subal parts. It seems SW in the UK supplies his own blue ones and got the size slightly wrong. If you have blue O-rings on your Subal ports, check that they fit snugly and are not a sloppy fit. It could save you a camera and lens (or two).

     

    Meanwhile, I was so freaked out by these seemingly arbitary floods, I bought another system! Pity!

  3. Did Subal censure SW for that? I mean that's very dishonest to pass off their own o-rings as Subal original.

    Something else I learned at DEMA... John Bantin isn't a bald, short round man named Bob. :)

  4. SW needs to be shot...

     

    John is tall, skinny, bald man... :)

  5. SW needs to be shot...

     

    John is tall, skinny, bald man... :)

     

    Mike,

     

    I did have hair (lots of it) once but you will never be tall, Mike! Paul and Karen send their love. Pity you weren't there, you lumberjack (and you're OK!).

     

    JB

  6. Mike does drink all night and sleep all day. :)

  7. true... tis almost 1am and i am still editing a video with a whisky... :)

  8. I can still taste the John Daniels from last night myself.

    Edited by Giles
  9. As I frequently mused last week...There are two types of North American. Those who found Python funny and those who did not understand it!

  10. Python? I prefer C++ and Java, myself... :)

  11. big joke back in comp sci class was it Eric?! :)

  12. And here is something I also learned: The term GOP is freely used when talking about the government of America, especially during news reports of the election. I asked what it meant and no-one (American) could tell me. It seems to be used as an acronym for the Republicans. Someone said it stands for Get Out and Push. What do you think? Is it the God's Own Party?

     

    (Note to Mike: Eric is too young to know about Python)

    Edited by John Bantin
  13. Too young? We watched it during high school, but it kind of faded after that.

     

    Re: GOP, check wiki or urban dictionary (don't click on urban dict if you are right-leaning)

     

    This thread has spun waaaay off course, but as long as the original poster is the one is spinning along with us, we'll continue... :)

    Edited by echeng
  14. Wow! GOP really does mean bollox! ...and I thought TTL meant Through-the-Lens!

  15. A tiger in Africa!?! :)

    Edited by segal3
  16. Sorry to be a pooper, but I'd like for a moment to get back to the subject that John raised at the beginning of this discussion.

     

    I remember getting blue O-rings from SW when I back to him for a new Subal port. His rationale then (a few years back now) was that Subal's new ports required o-rings of a different thickness and, rather cleverly, SW issued his customers with blue O-rings for these ports so that they wouldn't get their different O-rings mixed up (black = thin, blue = thicker).

     

    Scubadru, in my experience, he wasn't being dishonest. He stated very clearly why he was offering me the blue O-rings. A few years later (only 6 months ago), I was talking to Mrs Stepanek and she was well aware that SW had done this and quite happy about it all. She thought it was a clever idea.

     

    I'm lucky, I've never had a problem with the blue O-rings. I hope it was a one-off mix up in John's case (perhaps SW thought the old port design was actually one of the new ones) but, to be safe, I'm gonna ditch my small stock of blue O-rings right away!

     

    Mark

  17. Your O-ring should fit snugly without any slack. SW was not being dishonest. I really don't think he realised the significance and most of the time the longer O-ring does not get crimped when you turn the port. I found that there were two definite sizes and I could lay one inside the other. The tighter blue one is the correct one. It has nothing to do with the smaller gauge O-ring used in the old ports. (I have some of those from film days.) Those of you using black Subal O-rings should have no trouble. Anyone want to buy a couple of bodies and 12-24 lenses (slightly jammed with seawater?)

    Edited by John Bantin
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.