Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

banding in Premiere Pro 1.5.1 with HDV footage

Started by PCDiver ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

banding in Premiere Pro 1.5.1 with HDV footage

8 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I noticed severy color banding on uploaded HDV footage in PPro 1.5.1. It is realy noticable on those blue background shots. I know that Wags mentioned this in his Edius 4.0 review. Does anybody know whether the same problem exists in PPro 2.0?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Peter

  2. Hi Peter

    Are you using Aspect HD with Prem Pro?

     

    Different screens- graphics cards can cause it to look worse than others as well.

    For example, I have two 17 inch LCD screens driven by two different 128 meg graphic ports and there is a difference between then playing stuff back full screen.

     

    Render out some HDV and watch it on another screen if you can, but yes using Prem Pro and Aspect HD will give you banding after you have added some color correction to it. If you use the standard CC that comes with Prem Pro you will get better results, but you have to render it then :)

     

    With some shots you may even see slight mpeg 2 banding in the original shots... but its very rare.

  3. I'm not using Aspect HD. I'm using the builtin Cineform codec. And the banding shows up after the import.

  4. Yes the built in Cineform codec is the same as the Aspect HD codec you can buy, just you cannot change from the standard setting. With Aspect HD you can set it at low, med or high as it comes in and the same when making m2t files from it.

     

    Also with Aspect HD installed, Prem Pro will be much more responsive even though its the same codec and they give you a heap of realtime effects :) .

     

    Encode out a small high res wmv clip and post it, so we can see the banding to make sure it's not you screen/graphics port. It will show up in the wmv file if it's there.

     

    I also found Main Concept Pro's m2t encoder was better that Aspect HD- Prem Pro's.

     

    Go and download EDIUS and give it a go with it's Canopus HQ codec. It has real good CC and slow mo and encoding out all different formats is a snap. I did a clip the other day mixing HDV and DV on a HDV timeline with effects all in real time. Rendered out a DV file from it and firewired it back to the cam as DV.

     

    O what fun :):D

  5. Hi Wags,

     

    did you test PPRo 2.0?

     

    I have two options. I can upgrade to PPro 2.0 editing suite with Encore, AE, ... or I can keep my existing 1.5 suite and go for Edius 4.0 Pro. I certainly will give Edius 4.0 a try.

     

    Decisions, decisions, ....

     

    Peter

  6. Sure Did with Aspect HD 4+ version

     

    Well if you are going to upgrade at least give EDIUS a 30 day free try. You will go WHAT THE F(*())^% when you first load it up as it's so different but it does not take long to get a hold of it. It's rock solid.

     

    You need a 128 meg graphic card and at least a 3 GIG PC to be able to convert to the Canopus HQ in realtime like what Cineform does.

     

    For DVD's go and try DVD LAB Pro for 30 days. It's does more than what Encore can do.

     

    Nothing beats AE though....not sure if it can import the Canopus HQ codec though.

     

    Lets us now how you go.

  7. wags, did you buy shares in Edius?!?! :)

  8. Har Har :) ...Nope...

     

    I have just been messing around with Prem Pro and Aspect HD Mike since the start with allot of testing on clips untill I realized that EDIUS just works better with our under HDV material.

     

    But everywhere out there Prem Pro and Cineform is plastered all over the place while this virtually unheard of program actually does a better job. Abit like DVD LAB PRO compared to the other big named DVD aurthoring software out there. Infact you can even make the chapter points in EDIUS now and export the markers straight into DVD LAB PRO.

     

    A few days ago I did some multicam editing then encoded out FLASH clips with FLASH 8 encoder straight from the timeline in one go.. easy as. It's never crashed while editing with it :D What else...are yes...encoded straight from the timeline some VOBS then once it fiinished encoding it just burn't them to a Auto Run DVD. Rips music straight of CD's and you can even pull firewire feeds from more than one camera at the same time.

     

    Another guy was encoding out m2t files faster than real time on his beefed up PC.

     

    We are now doing a write up about it for http://www.dmw.com.au/ mag as well.

     

    Now my bourbons empty..... :)

    Edited by wagsy
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.