Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Stock video houses?

Started by IONature ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Stock video houses?

5 posts
  1. I am just wondering to what extent that stock video houses fit into everyones professional or semi-pro situation. I realize that everyone here has there own individual gig and I was just wondering how stock houses fit in. Is it possible to make your entire living selling stock footage (I can't see how but maybe your out there)? When you do offer your stuff to a stock house, do you hold back the best of the best for your own usage? And does that make any sense? Are you purchasing a substantial amount of stock footage for your own productions?

     

    Unrelated but related question: How the heck is everyone out there making a living at this? You all must be very creative indeed.

     

    just wondering

  2. i have my photos with stock agencies but haven't really organized my video stuff for that as of yet, i should one of these days...

     

    i know of a few people who do it and its a nice cheque every now and again.

     

    as for making a living... not sure too many here do it as a main income. there are at least 4 of us regulars on here who work in the tourism industry and sell daily/weekly videos to guests, i am sure most of us earn about the same as a 17 year old at McDonalds doing it.... but, we live in warm tropical places... :guiness:

  3. I've been asked to supply some of my footage to a couple of agencies he in the U.K, but as usual it keeps slipping my mind. I'll get round to it..

     

    Give me a shout when you get a McDonalds on Yap.. I'll work there..

     

    Oh bugger i'm not 17... :glare:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

    Edited by DeanB
  4. IOnature, I'm in negotiations with a stock agency at the moment. They approached me and are very keen on carrying my HDV footage. Problem is they're only offering me 40%, which I consider low.

     

    I have been meaning to send some stuff to oceanfootage.com for years, but still didn't get around to it. They offer 50% but charge a setup fee. Oceanfootage are way ahead on web searches but do they have the same links with the purchasers as the likes of Getty? Who knows. There's also a lot of competition on their site. I still plan to try it though.

     

    There are agencies out there that offer 60%, which is generous.

     

    I get direct enquiries sometimes from web searches. Licensed some DV footage the other day for a TV advert for a travel agency. They only used about 3 seconds and I got GBP £510 which was nice, so the possibilities are there. The "10 second minimum order" helped in that case.

     

    As for licensing footage for my own productions... way out of my league. I couldn't even afford to license the pic I wanted for my DVD cover.

     

    Footage licensing deals are great, as are those occasional pro cameraman jobs for TV or promo. Trouble is they just don't come along often enough (for me) and when the season starts here we're glad to get stuck into the relatively reliable income of liveaboard DVDs again. A typical liveaboard earns us about the same as a single day shooting for TV. Even then the cash runs out a couple of months after the season ends and we're back at the ATM drawing on income from my house rented out back in the UK. In a year or 2 we should be truly self-sustaining year-round.

     

    By the way the best gig I've had so far was licensing my Reef Life of the Andaman DVD to the Spanish news-stand market, of all places. They sold 30,000 in the first 6 months and still going :) The royalty's very small though.

     

    Building a reliable, self-financing business in underwater video is a long road, and very hard work, unless you're incredibly lucky.

  5. The reason that I ask is that I am beginning to see a significant shift in the industry. I am interested to find out if those folks that do have stock moving, if they are seeing a shift in the places that their footage is used from TV to the internet. Advertising dollars are beginning to be transfered from broadcast to the online space so new doors are opening everyday. However, at this point there just isn't the budget in New Media for high dollar productions (including the purchase of stock to fill in the holes). Has the advent of affordable HDV equipment effected sales?

     

    Thoughts?

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.