Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

CP5000 vs Oly C5050; Tetra housings

Started by MD4P ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

CP5000 vs Oly C5050; Tetra housings

5 posts
  1. I am about to take the digital plunge after years of shooting with a Nik V. I think I've narrowed down the camera choice to the Nikon CP5000 vs the Oly C5050, and would appreciate any advice re pros and cons of each.

     

    The housing choices are more confusing. I have an SB-105 strobe already, and would like to use this, hardwired for "digital TTL". Can always get a second strobe when I master the rig. I am intrigued by the ROC capability of the Tetra housing for the CP, and see that LMI just announced a Tetra housing for the C5050 with a similar option, though it is controlled through the strobe controller rather than through the camera (I don't understand the practical difference between the two). I've not read anything about Tetra housings on this forum - there must be a reason nobody here is using them.

     

    Thanks for your help.

  2. A few people here are using Tetra housings. They are VERY well made, well designed, and well built. But they are also a lot more expensive than other alternatives.

     

    A lot of people jump into digital and they want the absolutely CHEAPEST option. This is to buy an Olympus and one of their OEM housings like the PT-015 for the 5050. With this setup, you can have a camera and housing for well less than $1,000

     

    Things get much more complicated when you have a strobe already. Especially if it's an SB105. An excellent strobe, but it won't work with many "preflash" cameras. It will work in Slave mode with some cameras where the preflash can be turned off (Oly 5050).

     

    I suggest you read both of my VERY relevant articles on this topix posted here at Wetpixel:

     

    http://www.wetpixel.com/features/wiseman/

     

    The first will give you an apples to apples comparison of an olympus setup vs a coolpix setup. The second article talks about strobe use w/ the different digital setups.

     

    Hope that helps,

    James

  3. I own a Tetra for a Oly 3040 and would recomend the housing for any camera. Well built, solid, great balance and very compact. If you need depth the plastic OLY housings wont do it.

     

    The new Tetra coming for the 5050 has the ROC strobe control which will give you a leg up with your SB105. It wont give you TTL but you will have much better manual control in 12 half stop increments.

  4. James- Thanks for your prompt response. I had, indeed, read your articles about getting started and using strobes. The first article mentioned the Oly 3040 and CP 995, but I understand there are some differences now with the newer Oly 5050 and CP5000. Trouble is, just about the time anyone has enough experience to write a good review, there are new cameras on the market. Same with housings.

     

    Your article on strobes was also very informative, and helped convince me that synch cords were way better for me than slaves. Hence, my leaning toward the Tetra housing and ROC system. No real difference in price between the 5050/Tetra or the CP5000/Tetra, and I already have the strobe, a Nikonos tray/arm (don't know if it will fit) and various Ikelite ball/socket arm pieces that I should be able to adapt. So the cost issue is quite manageable.

     

    Nemo-

    Thanks for your input. As I said, I'm definitely leaning toward the Tetra for the ROC capabilities and a little more comfort if I happen to go deep.

     

    A friend is going to lend me his CP5000 to play with on land - that should help narrow my decision.

     

    Thanks again.

  5. I have the CP5000 and 2 sb105's. Why not look at the Nikon? The Oly may be less exp. but the Tetra housings are an expensive option, though you could look at other options to house it.

     

    I just housed my camera in an Aquatica case (first dive today!) and the TTL works (no ROC nec.). The Tetra housing seems awesome, but you can get relatively true ttl with Nikon cameras and your strobe. I should qualify the statements by mentioning that ttl may not be useable with a wide angel lens (lens partly covers the ttl sensor window).

     

    On the other hand, manual seems to work well too (so far).

     

    I'll post a critique of this housing/camera/stobe combo after I get more bottom time.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.