Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

What do you use your images for?

Started by james ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

What do you use your images for?

11 posts
  1. Hi Gang,

     

    I just wanted to do a quick survey of our DSLR group to see what you use your images for. This really really has a bearing on what setup is right for you, how you use it, etc.

     

    I use my images 50% for Web Sharing

    25% for Printing

    and 25% for digital projection in talks, shows, etc

     

    I have not yet sold any of my images.

     

    How about y'all?

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. I'd say my split is more like:

     

    70% web sharing in some way or another

    30% printing (and this only recently)

     

    I haven't sold anything yet either, although like to do so at some point. I haven't come up with a good model on how to sell, given that I have a job where I travel a lot, and don't really have a deep enough catalog of good quality images.

     

    Tom

  3. Mine are rarely printed on a home printer. About 25% are reduced, resized, and retyped for web sharing. Everything else goes onto a CD-R and into storage. Selected images are transferred to another CD and sent to the photolab for printing and mounting, then are displayed/sold in art shows. Anything that is deemed acceptable for such display is also then posted on the website. From time to time, some of the photos will be used for publications, presentations (some by me, some by others), other websites, t-shirts, calendars, and one was used for a postcard. Oh... and one is going to be published in the next edition of Reef Creatures.

     

    John

  4. Lets see. 100 pic's. Ten good ones. one worth printing.

     

    That would mean I shoot 90% for the trash can. 9 percent for the web, and 1% for print.

     

    :D

  5. The web and the delete button. Also good for prints for Christmas presents. My nephews love it when I make them Tee shirts with sharks on them as well.

  6. It would be good to see more digital pictures appearing in the big underwater image print competitions. In the A4-A3 size range (12"by8" to 16"by12")

     

    If, between us, we could get among the winners there it would be a great way to get the 35mm establishment to take both digital cameras and digital photographers seriously.

     

    Examples are:

     

    The LAUPS International Competition

     

    and

     

    The World Festival of Undersea Images

     

    Most of the big competitions are towards the end of the year - so lets all get shooting.

  7. Its a good idea, Alex, but is seems like most of the bigger competitions will accept only slides. They're usually not set up to be able to handle digital. Even the local art shows in my area only want slides of your submissions. One day they'll step up into the 20th century and only be a 100 years or so behind us. :D

     

    John

  8. This year, my local underwater photo society HUPS (www.hups.org) is putting on the Film Festival and Photo Gallery (prints) for the big Seaspace show here in Houston.

     

    We hope to display digital prints and are thinking about using Pictopia to do them.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. All my keepers are printed 30"x40" and ..... just kidding.

     

    A little of this a little of that.....

     

    About 50% spread across several photo hosting sites. The other half printed 8"x10". A couple of fairly large prints, mounted and laminated hanging somewhere. The 8x10s are in books at the shop categorized by location to help sell trips. I hand out slide show CD's to all my students. A couple large prints were hanging in a someone's booth at DEMA. I've licensed a whopping 8 images. Haven't attempted to peddle any more.

     

    I've been urged to do more on a professional level, but I don't have the time or inclination. I've been urged to enter competitions, but I don't like competitions. I'm so critical of my own work, I'd go insane. Mostly I just try to share.

     

    My goal is to collect a dozen underwater shots that I think are great, get them blown up, framed and hung in my personal gallery. So far I have a lot of empty walls. I'm trying to do the same thing on land, although I'm working on other projects like photo essays, again for my own edification and sharing, not personal financial gain.

  10. It would be good to see more digital pictures appearing in the big underwater image print competitions

    Few months ago DAN Europe done a u/w photo contest that was included also digital photos.

    Due some conspiracy of the judges I didn't won :D but I'll give them a second chance next year.

  11. Dear Alto, could you be more specific about the DAN'S Europe photo contest winner? :D

     

    Anyway, here in Israel It's almost impossible to sell your precious crop. Every magazine

    (not that we have many of them) would like to publish the photos, but no money at all.

     

    80% of the pictures for the web, 10% for big prints and the rest for publication and trash can.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.