Hi all
This has been playing on my mind for a little while now, but I've just watched two documentaries over this past weekend that brought it right back to the front part of my brain and I thought that I'd ask you all what you thought before something else pushes it out again (Homer style)! ![]()
Ok the two docs were Planet Earth:Shallow Seas and a JM Cousteau Ocean episode on Sharks (but you could replace these two with numerous other high end productions). Both of these documentaries used very little (at least very little evident) colour correction or I suspect at times absolutely none at all. Most of the footage appeared to rely on natural available light, with the occasional close up in brilliant colour when subjects were in range of their billion+ Watt housing lights or other independent additional light sources (ie camera assistants).
So what do you all think of this practise? The planet Earth footage at times was stunningly beautiful, but a little part of my brain kept on thinking 'hell that would be so much better in colour rather than saturated shades of blueness'. The Cousteau footage was a times in my opinion pretty poor for the conditions that they were shooting in (crystal clear vis & lots of light). Admittedly at times some of the footage was from 40-50m which you would expect WA distance shots to be washed out at, but other footage was from no more than 15-20m at most and in those conditions you would expect much better results. I have mulled over the idea that they decided to keep the shallower footage blue to match that from deeper depths, but then why show close ups in glorious technicolour?
I heard Peter Scoones talk earlier in the year that he prefers to work with what light is available and almost exclusively does not use lights unless shooting at night. He's one of the very top guys in this field so he must be right? right?? (Not to criticise Mr Scoones because he really is a god like figure to me, but I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at).
So should we look to achieve something that is pleasing to the eye rather than something that looks like, colourwise, that it was shot in less than 1m of water? Should we stop battling to make that green soupy water look a deeper shade of blue? I can't help feeling that if some of the footage was posted here asking for opinions that the main response would have been that is was often beautiful footage, perhaps some of the best ever seen, but that some more effort should have been paid to the colour correction.... Or am I just being picky??!! ![]()
Let me know what you think! ![]()
Cheers, Simon

