Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

canon underwater digital

Started by tknight ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

canon underwater digital

7 posts
  1. I have a Canon S40 4mpxl camera and the Canon u/w housing that goes with it. I'm very happy with the results and it was extremely cheap to get set up compared to other cameras. Why is it that these products don't seem to be widely talked about in magazines/websites etc?? I'd love to hear from others who have come to the same conclusion. Canon S40 and WPD housing are fantastic!! :D

  2. A lot of diff photogs on this site with a lot of different requirements in an UW camera. A capable unit to stick in a pocket seems like a good idea. Though for me the requirements would be: 1:1 macro, wide angle to at least 84 degrees, and an external light source.

  3. Hello tknight

    Glad you are satisfied with the Canon, I have the S30 and for me for now it’s also a good (and relative cheap) setting.

    Since I'm a beginner u/w photographer as I said for now I'm satisfied with it, but I already see that the S30 won't be with me for ever, I been in a lot of situations when I wished I had a better camera with more options (W/A, macro,..).

    I assume that in short time, I'll replace it with something else, probably I'll wait a little until the DSLRs will be chipper.

     

    I agree with you that is probably one of the best options for a beginner (that the reason I bought it).

  4. Its a fair point, although many divers want different things from UW photography and buy equipment accordingly. If you think your pics are reasonable then post a few and let them do the talking. I too have snapped some decent shots with a basic UW setup (Minolta Diamge xi) which is very limited with what it can do. I want more from my camera now hence my upgrade to a SLR setup (Olympus E10/Titan) which includes many more features.

     

    If YOU are happy with your results with the camera then thats the important thing. I dare say that with time you will want more from the camera, but hey thats for the future. Don't be afraid to post a pic to the forum, however good, bad or average you think it is. There are a lot of knowledgable guys & gals on this forum who post some magnificent pics and critique is the best way to learn.

     

    Here's a pic of mine taken with my old 'basic' setup to prove that you can get an average shot from a camera with limited facilities. Feel free to rip it apart with your comments!

     

    Mark

  5. I have the exact same equipment, the S40 with the Canon U/W enclosure, and I just used it for the first time last week on a Western Caribbean cruise. Here are some of the shots I took (I'm also going to post these in the Galley):

     

    Snorkling in Grand Cayman

    grandcayman02.jpg

     

    grandcayman08.jpg

     

    Snorkling in Stingray City (also in Grand Cayman)

    Stingraycity09.jpg

     

    These suckers swim up on you really fast, so it was hard to actually get a shot of them far enough away that you see the whole thing. However, they are very friendly and just want some free food, which we were happy to give them.

    Stingraycity10.jpg

     

     

    Here is one from SCUBA diving off of Tabyana Beach in Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras. This shot was down at about 40 feet, no flash used. Yes, the water in Roatan is THAT clear at 40'.

    scuba09.jpg

  6. jc, next time you post pics could you trim them down to max width of 600 pix. These are just a bit too big for the board.

  7. Sorry. I'll make it smaller next time.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.