Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

prescription dive masks (custom lenses)

Started by markhardy ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

prescription dive masks (custom lenses)

12 posts
  1. I've been wearing custom-made prescription lenses in my dive mask for years. Unfortunately I can't wear contact lenses and I need quite strong astigmatic correction, so off-the-shelf prescription lenses don't cut it for me.

     

    About 10 years ago, and then again 5 years ago, I had lenses made up for me by Sea Vision in the States (http://www.seavisionusa.com/). I was very satisfied the first time around. The second time was fine but a MUCH more expensive exercise... in part my own fault because I insisted on sending them (from England) my prefered choice of dive mask for them to work on.

     

    I've been using a Tusa Splendive IV mask, and also have a similar black silicone variant. Both are falling apart with age.

     

    I now live in Hong Kong and it's high time I order a new mask with new prescription. Before I possibly go back to Sea Vision with my new order, I wouldn't mind researching the alternatives. So:

     

    (a) can anyone recommend a good supplier of prescription dive masks/lenses (must be able to do international mail order)?

     

    (B) which models of double-lens dive masks are currently considered to be the best for photographers?

     

    © has anybody had experience with prescription lenses in a single face plate mask? (how does that work? :( )

     

    A google search lead to these guys who look good and claim to be able to put custom lenses in ANY dive mask: http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

     

    Any thoughts?

     

    Cheers,

    Mark

  2. My plastic surgeon dive buddy has used that company for several years. In fact, he just sent me that link today :(

     

    He dives with a mask with bifocal lens, and he said they do good work.

  3. Thanks Larry, but which company are you refering to? I mentioned two: www.prescriptiondivemasks.com or www.seavisionusa.com ?

  4. Hi,

     

    I have ordered from Ozbob Custom Face Masks (Australia) several times and have been very pleased.

    http://www.geocities.com/ozbob2003/ email: Ozbob@bigpond.com

     

    Small operation, great service.

     

    Good luck

     

    Jett

  5. Mark, my wife works at a dive shop; the vendor they use is prescriptiondivemasks.com .

     

    Although I haven't used their services personally (I wear my contacts), this year I think I'll give it a try. Mostly what's pushing me to try is their workmanship, which is SUPERB.

     

    I've looked over a couple of the masks that have come in for customers, and they look as if they came from the factory with the lenses. And they will work with any wierd thing you want...trifocals, blends, readers + lenses, anything that if you can describe it they'll make it.

     

    For example, I'm considering a "cyclops lens", a lens optimised for the camera viewfinder focal distance, that would be in between my standard prescription lenses. That way, all I'd have to do is rotate my head a bit to look through it. The gal at prescriptiondivemasks said they hadn't done it yet, but didn't bat an eye at doing it.

     

    Plus it is sooo nice to find the perfect mask, and have that be the one that gets the prescription.

     

    Turnaround time has been about 10 days at the shop, including UPS both ways.

     

    Did I say awesome workmanship?

     

    All the best, James

  6. oops, sorry Mark.

     

    It is prescriptiondivemasks.com

  7. thanks for your feedback so far. I'll get in touch with all these guys (including Ozbob) but suspect I'll be going with prescriptiondivemasks.com who I see on their website have a nice selection of masks which look awfully similar to some of the branded models you'll find in your local dive shop.

  8. Mark, if your mask (that fits perfectly now) is a major brand and common size/model, it would be worth it to ask if they could pick one up locally and put your scrip in. That way you'd have great fit and great lenses.

     

    Having done it for a couple of folks, though, the best optical performance comes from using your mask, placed on your face, and marking the eye positions on the glass with a sharpie.

     

    Can't cost that much to mail a mask from HK.

     

    All the best, James

    Edited by fdog
  9. i've used prescription dive masks for years now, they have a great quality of craftmanship, the work is flawless.

  10. thanks guys for your comments. I'm gonna give prescriptiondivemasks.com a try. Depending on what they say, I might just email them a 1:1 outline of the lenses with my eye positions marked on each, and ask them to pick up the same mask locally.

     

    cheers,

    Mark

  11. There is also a company based in Singapore and UK that specialise in masks for Photography, www.dive-vision.com.

  12. I wore gas perm contacts for thirty years before my recent cataract surgery. I always thought soft contacts weren't available for astigmatism but just got them for diving and they work great. Very comfortable too.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.